Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LED Question for first custom saber

Question LED Question for first custom saber

My plan is to start by building a simple(ish) saber and slowly add more features to it as I have the time and money. The ultimate goal is to have a saber with a PC soundboard and color extender with an RGB LED so I can control the color. With the end goal in mind, I want to put an RGB LED in this saber from the start. I'm planning on driving the LED with a 1000ma buckpuck, and wiring the green and red dice to make a yellow blade for now. I've heard the tri-rebels don't mix very well (at least the RGB) and I'm wondering if I can use this LED star I liberated from a saber I have from the other guys. I don't really see a problem here, but wanted to check with you guys before I committed to using this LED.

IMG_20140724_175532452_zpsjv4tpgyw.jpg

Will this work? Any suggestions for a different RGB LED I could use?

Welcome to the Forums.

You aren't going to be able to give the Red 1000 mA, plus if you wire them in parallel, you will have a very dull blade. Stick to blue or green for now if thats all you are going to put into the saber. Also where did you get that LED from? Those dice do not look like they are individually addressable.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

It is the standard RGB module that ultrasaber's uses in their mixed color blades. Basically, the R, G, and B dice all share the same positive lead, meaning the only option is to wire them in parallel. This particular module used to be wired as a cyan(ish) color, using the blue and green dice with a small resistor on the blue. I've rewired similar modules to make a couple colors, but if you're saying that this module will be dim with two dice in parallel, what would you suggest I use? If that's the case, I probably don't even know what I'm missing! XD I'm not worried about the red die, though, as a parallel circuit would split the 1000ma between the two dice I use (500ma per die), correct?

Yes, and at 500 mA they likely wouldn't be very bright at all. I would just use one color at 1A, that would be nice and bright. Blue or Green would be best.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 07-24-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

It definitely would. Thanks for the reply by the way. Do you have any suggestions for an RGB solution, though? I'm going to be heading that way eventually.

You could get the Red/Green/Royal Blue Tri-Rebel sold here in the store.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I've read in other threads that those don't mix as well as rgbs under one dome. Do you know if this is the case?

As long as you use the right optics, it mixes fine. Those are basically all I use these days.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Awesome. I may still have to do some experimenting. Thanks for the help.

Poor color mixing was an original issue with the Tri-Rebels. The optics sold at TCSS fix that problem, and they now mix quite nicely.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!