Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My First Saber Build (Most original title here, amirite?)

Default My First Saber Build (Most original title here, amirite?)

Here we go guys, my Sith style saber build is in its planning stages, and since its my first build ever (I literally found out I could build a lightsaber this morning) I am gonna put up a newb thread just to make sure I'm completely wrong about something.

So, I've went ahead and made the basic design in the customizer, and I'm really happy with it

I'm thinking that all of the black is going to be matte black or see through matte black to look like a matte black chrome, and the red is going to be a see-through semi gloss red to look like annodizing since I'm too lazy to go through the possible fudging of my part by someone with a small enough business to do a single small part.

I've decided I want to go for the full package and do a light and sound build in my light saber, because I really want to get what I want the first time, and I'm fairly confident that I can get this done with some help from the more experienced builders.

Now, I know for sure that the outsides are going to work, its the electronics I don't know about. I want to get my blade more red than than any red blade has ever thought of being red, like blood red, sith stuff
    anyway, I thought of going with

Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star and the associated lens (red-red-white (white hooked up to FOC))

Now, sound I'm thinking is gonna come from

Petit Crouton Sound Module v3
    IDK if I'm gonna need Power Xtender 2.0, but its cheap, so should I?
    RICE Port style 2
    2w 28mm Bass Speaker
    I have no idea what else I need to make this work, or how many of what kind of batteries I need for this set up, but I really want to make this thing as awesome as possible

Not sure what kind of battery holder I need, but I'm pretty sure I'll be using Li-on batteries since I already have a nitecore i4 for vaping.
    Last edited by Lord Agelastus; 07-21-2014 at 04:39 PM.

Toss the LED driver and the BuckPuck. You're getting the Petit Crouton, which has an on-board LED driver. You set the current in the config file, and it takes care of the rest.

If you want FoC, you need to get the Power Xtender. You will need a resistor for the FoC LED die.

The PC needs a 7.4v li-ion pack to run at its best. Any of the premade packs will work, but some will fit in your hilt easier than others. It all depends on how you intend to fit things in.

I recommend using a recharge port for internal charging, or else making sure the battery pack is easily removed.

You'll need 2 switches. The aux switch must be momentary, but they both can be. Momentary switches tend to take up less room, so I'd just use those. Space fills up FAST inside a hilt.

Read the PC manual a few times. Seriously. It'll help you figure out the wiring a lot better.
    Last edited by Silver Serpent; 07-21-2014 at 05:21 AM.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

SS, the PC v3 has on-board power extenders like the Crystal Focus, so a satellite board isnt necessary. It's kept in the shop as it's still needed for the Nano, which now has foc capability.

I would also advise reading the manual a few times. Do that and you will be answering newbie questions instead of asking them.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Welcome to the Forums!

Depending on the specifics of the items you intend to put into the saber, like SS said, space will be very tight.

Good Luck.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    SS, the PC v3 has on-board power extenders like the Crystal Focus, so a satellite board isnt necessary. It's kept in the shop as it's still needed for the Nano, which now has foc capability.
    D'oh! You're quite correct there. I'm gonna blame this one on "insufficent coffee."
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post

I would also advise reading the manual a few times. Do that and you will be answering newbie questions instead of asking them.

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
    Depending on the details, and space, he may need to bridge the pads and use external resistors. If space becomes an issue, he *might* want to use the power extenders (so he could use small SMD resistors.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Good call, FJK, I hadn't thought of that.

And SS, everything is forgivable before coffee.

Thanks for the replies guys! Good to know the Petite Crouton is so capable, that really takes a load off of my mind. So I'll need 2 buttons? the AV would work since the one I've bookmarked is momentary, and I could get a smaller "normal" momentary switch to add more faux adjustiment points to the saber since I was already counting on the blade retention screw looking like a length or power adjustment.

I already chose to put the rice port and possibly a charging point in the pommel with the end cap I chose, so I've switched the activation box to style 17 with a red momentary 16mm AV switch and a small red momentary.

That will work just fine.

Ok, so I've decided I'm gonna actually go with the 2w 28mm Bass Speaker instead since I've found that I want to use the Nightbrother sound font from saberfont.com, and its about as deep as saber fonts get. Either that, or the bane font, but I've decided I want a deep bass laden font either way.