Thread: Diffusers and some ideas (and questions)

Smile Diffusers and some ideas (and questions)

Hey folks - before I start, some background: I'm no stranger to electronic wiring or resisters and soldering - I can wire a basic LED saber no problems (I'm starting to dabble with LI batteries, sound, ect, soon and have researched that about as much as I can without the parts). I've done quite a bit of repair work and wiring. I don't make hilts.
    Most of my work has been on the LED side of saber making - working on getting the brightest I can push out of the LEDs I have (I'm using deal***treme RGBs, and oddly, seem to be able to push them -very- far).

But, the brightest LED can only do so much without a good diffuser option.; I've been trying to figure out what sorts of things make for a good diffuser - Cellophane, Mylar, the white poly tubes, corbin film... I could go on.

However, has anyone tried to use one way window mirror film? Have the reflective surface pointing inward to bounce the light around more? I mostly ask because that is the route I'm considering for my next saber blade, and before I drop money on the somewhat expensive one way mirrored film, I wanted to see if anyone had tried it, and what the end results where.

If not, well, I'll see about posting some pictures if I do it this way.

I would imagine it would block light rather than diffuse it.
    A Star Wars nerd? I've never heard of such a thing!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Trust me, just go to Michael's craft store and get a roll of 40"X100ft of clear gift wrap, and a 1/2" by 48" wood dowel. Roll 4-6 ft of the film onto the dowel, put it inside the blade and unroll, trim and enjoy. You wont get a more even, bright blade with anything else (as far as has been tried).

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

& remember to tack it in with a bit of hot glue so it dosen't come out when you hand it to Frank! I agree with dustunite but it might be interesting to try out for effect. As we were talking about at GGK, the four systems out are the ones that work. The one we didn't see, I think, was a white LED with a colored filter + diffuser material.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Trust me, just go to Michael's craft store and get a roll of 40"X100ft of clear gift wrap, and a 1/2" by 48" wood dowel. Roll 4-6 ft of the film onto the dowel, put it inside the blade and unroll, trim and enjoy. You wont get a more even, bright blade with anything else (as far as has been tried).
    ^^ THIS. To Fender, listen you should...

When you get 4-6 feet in there the stuff will essentially look and act just like your mirrored idea...
    LOCKHEED

Polypropylene and cellophane are two different things. Which are you guys using?

http://www.atlantacello.com/custom-bags/cello-vs-polly/

This has already been answered:

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    I have a couple of blades made like this and they work great.

Also as a side note, please don't necro-post. This thread is a couple of years old since it's been last touched.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com