Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Finished 1st Saber. Help me name it!

You could name it Gyrari, which is Latin for rotate (for the rotating crystal chamber). However, I agree that the name is a personal choice and you should find what you feel suits the saber.
    The above statements GREATLY depends on what battery solution as well as what sound card you plan on using to run your saber. Limitations will probably apply. Your mileage may vary. Any visual impairments are the sole responsibility of the saber builder/user. - Forgetful Jedi Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Google Translate says the Latin for "Robert" is "Robertus." I'm not quite sure I trust that translation.
    He could call it "Roberticus the First" or "Bob" for short.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

You must be kidding about that being your first saber...that rotating Crystal chamber is a masterpiece of mechanical engineering, never even seen the like of that before. Simply great! As for the name, it seems it is already known as Bob...maybe it could be embellished to Gyrabob?

Quote Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
    You must be kidding about that being your first saber...that rotating Crystal chamber is a masterpiece of mechanical engineering, never even seen the like of that before. Simply great! As for the name, it seems it is already known as Bob...maybe it could be embellished to Gyrabob?
    Those were (probably still are) sold as a kit.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Thanks for all the compliments guys it gives me the warm fuzzies. As far as the crystal chamber yes it is sold as a 2 part kit you can find it at shapeways, and you will need a little motor found on amazon. Original was designed by a guy with the you tube channel "ammnra" he has links to the parts or you can get it assembled straight from him at a resonable price.

Note: the design was great but there were some problems with the printing that I had to correct. I live in texas so maybe the heat might have warped them in shipping. Next time I would probly do something a little different with it. I think I might be able to improve it.
    Last edited by snilam; 07-22-2014 at 04:02 PM.

so still pondering names was thinking of...(I blame google translate if they are wrong)

roto cor (rotate the heart)
    animo valde (spinning heart)
    cor frigido (heart dance)
    saltantem crystallum (dancing crystal)
    and
    robertus scriptor lana crystallum (robert's spinning crystal aka BOB)

Quote Originally Posted by snilam View Post
    so still pondering names was thinking of...(I blame google translate if they are wrong)
    robertus scriptor lana crystallum (robert's spinning crystal aka BOB)
    This has my vote.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Robertus... Obertusr... Bertusro... Ertusrob... Rtusrobe... Tusrober... Usrobert... Srobertu...

Or Aufklarung. It's an awesome saber! So many features and they still work really well together. (Of the above I like Tusrober).
    Last edited by Askew Wai; 07-22-2014 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Askew Wai View Post
    Robertus... Obertusr... Bertusro... Ertusrob... Rtusrobe... Tusrober... Usrobert... Srobertu...

Or Aufklarung. ... (Of the above I like Tusrober).
    Interesting variations.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Great work on the hilt. It came out great.

Many use latin or other language translations for their names.
    Yes indeed. My saber has a yellow blade so I called it "Aurea", which is Latin for golden.

Look at a distinct characteristic or feature your saber has and perhaps you can come up with an idea for a name from that.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world.

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker