Thread: First time working on a Tri Rebel...need advice

Default First time working on a Tri Rebel...need advice

So, i recently acquired a PC 1.6 and I want to wire a tri rebel RRW.

What would be a better way to wire the 2 red dice, series or parallel?

How would i calculate the resistor? Use only one dice VF or do i combine them? a formula would be nice.

Is there any disadvantages or advantages over one or the other, series or parallel?

Appreciate the help guys and gals...cheers

Wiring them either way would work with a PC. If you do them in Serial, you set the current for 700 mA and is you do them in Parallel, you sett the current for 1400 mA. No resistors are needed for the main dice, as long as you are using them on the main LED pads.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

If you wire the two dice in series, you would add the two forward voltage values together and treat it as a single LED. Current required remains the same. A single Rebel Red is 2.4v @ 700mA, so a pair in series would be 4.8v @700mA.

If you wire them in parallel, the forward voltage does not change, but you add the required current values together. In that case you'd need 2.4v @ 1400mA.

So long as your battery pack has a higher voltage than the LED set (4.8v in series or 2.4v in parallel), then you'll be good to go. With the PC, you should be running a 7.4v pack. I'd use the series setup. The more current you push, the shorter your runtime on a single battery charge.

Parallel wiring has the advantage of running at lower voltages, and allows for fine tuning of individual LED dice for color mixing. Since you're using two red dice, color mixing isn't a concern.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Would you get better battery life by going with a series setup in this instance?

NM, SS answered.

Awesome...i didn't know resistors aren't needed for the main dice for a PC 1.6. I must have missed that in the manual. Thanks for the help FJK