Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to get FOC without a sound board?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is there a way to get FOC without a sound board?

Is there? I mean I know you can just get a sound board and not wire the speaker or even just turn down the volume but I was wondering if there was another way.

Not likely, as you would need sensors, etc. to detect the FoC.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yes, there are small drivers that can handle foc without sound, but they are not sold here yet, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    Yes, there are small drivers that can handle foc without sound, but they are not sold here yet, unfortunately.
    Oh, those. You would need to go on FX for those.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

If you want to be ambitious, you can build your own circuit. the clash sensor can turn on a transistor that turns on timer like IC that flashes the light a couple times.

The absolute most simple way to do this would be to run a clash sensor in parallel to your LED with a higher/lower value resistor. When the sensor detects a clash, power would be diverted down through the alternate resistor momentarily dimming or brightening the LED. With some discrete logic gates you could even have a momentary switch handle this for blaster bolt deflection... ect...

Quote Originally Posted by mcpreaches View Post
    Is there? I mean I know you can just get a sound board and not wire the speaker or even just turn down the volume but I was wondering if there was another way.
    You can get these LED Drivers

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Co...iver-P609.aspx

I've not used one of those myself, but I thought they supported FoC.

From the store page description:
    *optional* STAT and STAT- connect to clash sensor or separate switch to enable flash on clash
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    I've not used one of those myself, but I thought they supported FoC.

From the store page description:
    I've never seen them used that way.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I wired up a clash sensor to the STAT and STAT- on the Constant current LED driver in my first stunt saber.

Cannot say I was impressed with the effect. More blink-on-clash.
    The LED would go out, flash and then return to its shimmer effect.
    There was also a notable delay between the clash sensor connecting STAT and STAT- together and the effect.