Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Etching a chrome sink tube?

Quote Originally Posted by Dethlore View Post
    +1 to the toner transfer method. I use that for etching my own PCBs.
    0_o
    What in the world is +1 to the toner?
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.
    -Lord Malyce, Exile of Sith, First Warrior of Sands

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverDark View Post
    0_o
    What in the world is +1 to the toner?
    It means he like the toner transfer method too.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

O lol ok. I'm such a greenhorn XP
    "Peace is a lie. Perhaps the greatest of them all. Peace, or a lack of change equals Death. If the waters of a pool cease to move, and become stagnant, the waters poison themselves, and kill all who drink from it. Chaos, on the other hand, brings great change. Should the pool be over taken by a river, life springs anew.

Ok, since we're on the topic of acid/saltwater etching, and Rogue's/Ooglie Saber's Lula Mae saber won me over on acid etching, does anyone have any methods that a pyrotechnic/accident prone 15 yr old with practically no money can perform with out going broke or being hospitalized for the 3 time in 6 months?

I know ferric chloride does a fantastic job of etching aluminum. I've not tried it with chrome. It may react poorly or not at all. I think the saltwater etching process would be a safer bet for chrome.

In either case, the etching process isn't too dangerous if you wear gloves, and work outside. It's not expensive either. My acid etching setup was less than $20, to include buckets, acid, resist material, etc. Saltwater etching is similar in price.
    Last edited by Silver Serpent; 07-03-2014 at 05:01 AM.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Awesome. Thanks Serpent

Much easier to mask and then media blast. No chemicals.

Force Aware

If you do discover a good way to etch the chrome off cleanly, I'd greatly appreciate that! I've dabbled a bit in some minor saltwater aluminum etching, but I'd love to be able to style sinks for future builds without having to sand off the chrome manually.

Im plannning on trying the engraving bits for the dreml...hopes are pretty high but they may be largely misplaced...

Well I tested a few different bits, and in terms of actually getting a straight line...well it is nearly impossible...that's due to the fact that the bit spins so quickly it tends to run away on first contact. I don't have a vice though so maybe if you clamped the piece and then used two hands you might have more control, but someone else will have to test it out.