Thread: JDuff Sith Saber

Default JDuff Sith Saber

This is a build that I created for one of the ladies in the Buffalo FanForce Chapter that I belong to. She portrays a Sith character, and as hard as she tries, she is just way too sweet to really pull off being mean and cold hearted. So, I tried my hardest to design a saber that would help her along to being a hardcore Sith?without being too hardcore, of course. Aged with an acid bath to give a nice texture and then accented with black paint to weather it, and complemented with a Lux Rebel III Red illuminating a 27? blade, this one was a little hard to let go. She added a red torn strip of cloth that she tattered up and added dried ?blood spots? ? tied around the switch area. She states that she killed her former master and tore this from his robes.

I guess I?m creating a monster after all?

The saber is perfectly balanced right above the choke, and for someone who is not experienced with saber spinning, she wasn?t doing too badly with this one.

In a nutshell:
    MHS Standard Part
    Acid weathering with acrylic paint accents to darken the hilt.

IMG_20140522_172038_683.jpg
    IMG_20140523_125425_436.jpg
    IMG_20140523_215706_334.jpg
    IMG_20140528_093709_242.jpg
    IMG_20140528_093825_015.jpg

Not bad. It's not too menacing though.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I like the weathering, for someone quite unexperienced with the higher art of weathering: what does an acid bath consist of? I mean from basic chemistry classes I have a rather good idea, but is that something one can do at home (I won't hold you liable for any stupidity, don't worry)?

Quote Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
    I like the weathering, for someone quite unexperienced with the higher art of weathering: what does an acid bath consist of? I mean from basic chemistry classes I have a rather good idea, but is that something one can do at home (I won't hold you liable for any stupidity, don't worry)?
    If you are a member on FX-Sabers, there are a couple of excellent acid etching tutorials that were posted over there.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Indeed. This is the one I have used: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=39721.0
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks a lot Masters! I will study them for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Not bad. It's not too menacing though.
    I agree, and I held back. Compared to the Jedi hilts that I have done that were highly polished, I wanted something darker. These were simple hilts, not a lot of flare to them due to their owners needing to keep within a budget. I took what I had to work with and made do. No, it's not menacing, but neither is her Sith costume. She has this elegance about her in costume and I wanted to complement that with a weapon that carried a bit of elegance itself, but still had an look of deadliness to it.

I guess the most important thing is...it's her first saber and she loves it. For that, I'm satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi1 View Post
    Read over the tutorials posted above. Between my personal saber that I just posted updates on, and this one, this was my first experience with working with acid. It was fun, but you do need to respect the acid and pay close attention to ALL of the safety recommendations. And yes, I did this at home. Outside.

Quote Originally Posted by JDuffPhoto View Post
    I guess the most important thing is...it's her first saber and she loves it. For that, I'm satisfied.

You are absolutely correct. This is the most important thing.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!