Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AAAAAAHHHHH! THEY WORKED!!! *ahem* I mean...thanks. =)

Quote Originally Posted by JakeSoft View Post
    There is no wrong answer; that's the beauty of saber building. I think you'll find option C impractical, but it has the advantage of allowing you to do the other options later if you don't like it. You could easily drill a non-hidden hole on the front or back of the blade holder after you've already drilled a hole hidden under the shroud.
    From a design perspective, it does matter.

If you are going to use a traditional thumb screw, your best placement bet would be "A". I could see/understand option "B" if you were using a set screw that didn't stick out at all, and interfere with the shroud design. Option "C" just looks like you slapped the screw anywhere.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 06-17-2014 at 06:52 AM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Hiding the screw under your shroud, as in Option "C," is only a good idea if you rarely intend to remove the blade. I've done it myself on my saber cane, and I never remove the blade unless I need to repair something. Removing the blade any other time is a pain in the rear.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Ugh. Another 14-hour workday, and I'll be back there in 9 hours. Another day of nothing accomplished.

I appreciate the opinions! At this point, I think I am leaning toward option "B." A flush-mount set screw on the back, just above the shroud. I like to hold my sword hilts with hands spread, one high (partially on the blade holder), and one low. Or just up high with one hand. I think the knob would get in the way. So, set screw it is.

Loving the shroud work. Pointy pommels though? :P That's just me but I would've gone something more Jedi looking. I kinda like the blades how they look actually to be honest, kind of transluscent in a way which is different. I like different in sabers. I know you plan to finish them, just an idea I'm throwing out there.
    "Your move!" -Obi-wan kenobi-

Quote Originally Posted by jedimastergarcia87 View Post
    Loving the shroud work. Pointy pommels though? :P That's just me but I would've gone something more Jedi looking. I kinda like the blades how they look actually to be honest, kind of transluscent in a way which is different. I like different in sabers. I know you plan to finish them, just an idea I'm throwing out there.
    The best thing about all of this is if I get tired of the pointy pommels, I order a couple different ones with inserts and screw them in. Tim has a great system.

Those shrouds are fantastic. I love the fact that the finish on them makes them look more organic. Personal preference here? I'd leave them as is and not polish them at all. They'd look great polished too, but something about it just screams "living force" to me.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoJoe View Post
    Those shrouds are fantastic. I love the fact that the finish on them makes them look more organic. Personal preference here? I'd leave them as is and not polish them at all. They'd look great polished too, but something about it just screams "living force" to me.
    Thanks! And, yes, they are done as far as polish goes. I like the "brushed" look with the highly polished edging. I put some spray lacquer over them to keep them from corroding too quickly while being handled.

I'll tell you this...polishing brass is not an easy task. I had 600 grit sandpaper, a wire wheel and my dremel, felt polishing wheels with polishing compound for it too...its hard to get it evenly shiny and pretty. Plus, as you are polishing, you are removing material, and you might find "flaws" in the brass, which then have to be polished out, thereby removing more material, etc.

I don't recommend it.

If I build another saber and use more brass on it, I am going to try the brushed look all over it, with a shiny pattern in it carved out. I'll need a better work space for that though...a bench vise, and some small metal-carving chisels. And some practice pieces.

Oh, and the extra parts from Tim arrived:

That looks awesome!!! Congratulations!