Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Covertec & D-rings

Has someone done vanbrace holsters yet?

i did contemplate a 'hook hinge' system a while back, but never actually got around to implementing it.

the theory was the same as a d-ring system really, but with more structure to eliminate shake and rattle of the ring.

similar to this...

where the 'hook' would be on the belt, maybe 3mm width 'pin' or so... and the fitting would be along the side of the saber near the pommel... 2 or 3cm worth of hollow tube for the pin to slide into.

obviously the tubes could be worked into the design of the hilt so they weren't obvious... but the advantages i saw of this sort of fitting would be a more solid attachment for the saber, a simple 'slide on / slide off' design, and no movement while it was attached to your belt.

it's something i might rework for my next saber design

Somebody (I think recently) started producing a covertec variant. It uses the same knob but rather than clipping into the belt attachment, it seems to slide into a channel which drops down, to the side and down again. I think they called it "Saber lock" or something. I suppose the idea is to make it easier to draw the saber with one hand.

It looks something like this, I think.
    Saber lock.png
    ERUDITION

A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

I have made a couple of modified designs for a covertec belt clip. Both use Kydex sheets that is often used for heat molded holsters, sheaths, etc. Everything used was stuff I had laying around the workbench. Both are a bit rough, proof of concept prototypes.

The first one uses a heat molded nub or protrusion on the back plate that takes a bit of force to slide the covertec wheel past it. The nub was made by pressing a short length of 12 gauge wire in to the back of the (heated) kydex.

P1010178.jpg

The second one uses a nub that is cut in as a part of the slotted top piece with a slot close behind it to help let it flex. The nub needs to be just right to let the covertec wheel push past with the right amount of force. I actually ground off just a little too much on this piece so the retention is a little weak. The nice thing about the heat molded option is that you can reheat and tweak things. With the cut protrusion, once you cut too much there's no going back.

P1010179.jpg

Both parts use several layers of kydex to form the slot profile. Then they are attached to some purchased belt clips I had laying around. The belt clips could be done in a lot of different ways including making your own clips or belt slots in kydex.

P1010180.jpg
    P1010182.jpg

Both ideas seem to work well for holding a saber and having one handed access. The saber can be pulled out (or put in) with a solid pull. One tip is to grab the saber right over the covertec wheel area and push on the top of the belt clip with your thumb.

I have a couple of more ideas for alternatives that I just haven't gotten to trying out yet.
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

Simple belt hook for a ring. Forged from steel rod stock, three pieces brazed together.

image.jpgimage.jpg

One hand and off, simple and tough. I thought I would feel the saber dangling and banging around while walking, but it's actually not that bad...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC13 View Post
    Simple belt hook for a ring. Forged from steel rod stock, three pieces brazed together.

image.jpgimage.jpg

One hand and off, simple and tough. I thought I would feel the saber dangling and banging around while walking, but it's actually not that bad...
    Nice. I am going to have to try my hand a brazing sometime.
    Would a lightsaber switchblade be redundant?

There is an etsy shop that's just opened where the owner has devised a new way to use the covertech knob, but make the saber easier to remove and still be secured. Check it out at https://www.etsy.com/shop/DarkLyteCu...hopheader-name

He removed the latch and added a bend ... clever!

Just as a reminder, posting links to outside stores that sells "competing products" is a no-no.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Or Tim could make a deal with this vendor and carry this item in his store. That's a win/win/win!