Thread: First Saber Wiring

Default First Saber Wiring

I'm putting together my first lightsaber and found someone who has the exact same build design as I do and I wanted to double check a couple things on the writing. This person deserves all of the credit, though. Here is the diagram:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/87639342@N08/14122291388/

Power supply is a Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh, LED is a green Luxeon Rebel Star (runs at 3.4V, run at 1000mA).

Here are my questions:

I see that he has a resistor before the LED, but a forum member had commented that I would not need one on another post...should I be putting one in there? I feel like it seems right to. I did a calculation and came out at 2W or greater 1 Ohm for it using the LED calculator, if that sounds correct...his says 3-5W, but had a different LED.

Similarly, I need a resistor for my switch (12mm green ring, forward voltage of 3.0V and runs at 20mA), though I haven't gotten it yet...using the resistance calculator I got a 1/8W or 39 Ohm resistor. Does that sound right?

Lastly, this probably sounds silly, but how do people secure their NB Boards in their hilts? I assume you don't just want it hanging out there...

Thanks for the help, it's been a while since I dealt with wiring diagrams and am re-learning a lot. This forum has some great members who've been super helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyinbozo View Post
    I'm putting together my first lightsaber and found someone who has the exact same build design as I do and I wanted to double check a couple things on the writing. This person deserves all of the credit, though. Here is the diagram:

Power supply is a Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 2600mAh, LED is a green Luxeon Rebel Star (runs at 3.4V, run at 1000mA).

Here are my questions:

I see that he has a resistor before the LED, but a forum member had commented that I would not need one on another post...should I be putting one in there? I feel like it seems right to. I did a calculation and came out at 2W or greater 1 Ohm for it using the LED calculator, if that sounds correct...his says 3-5W, but had a different LED.

Similarly, I need a resistor for my switch (12mm green ring, forward voltage of 3.0V and runs at 20mA), though I haven't gotten it yet...using the resistance calculator I got a 1/8W or 39 Ohm resistor. Does that sound right?

Lastly, this probably sounds silly, but how do people secure their NB Boards in their hilts? I assume you don't just want it hanging out there...

Thanks for the help, it's been a while since I dealt with wiring diagrams and am re-learning a lot. This forum has some great members who've been super helpful.
    Technically, you could get by with a .47 Ohm 1/2 W resistor for that Green LED. Resistors with a higher wattage are OK, but the bigger the wattage, the bigger the resistor.

Regarding the switch you could use a 18 Ohm, 1/4 W, or a DynaOhm resistor.

Usually using some type of a chassis system. They are under Misc in the MHS section or you can check out a nice all in one piece in the speaker holder section. You'll recognize it when you see it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank you, sir! You're my hero for the week, plus you've helped me out before, too. Building these up is way too much fun, I feel like a lot of money is going to be sunk here in the next year or so...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyinbozo View Post
    Thank you, sir! You're my hero for the week, plus you've helped me out before, too. Building these up is way too much fun, I feel like a lot of money is going to be sunk here in the next year or so...
    No one ever said this was a cheap hobby!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    No one ever said this was a cheap hobby!
    But definitely worth every dime in awesomeness.

I encountered a new question - I bought the NB Header & wiring harness and noticed that there are 2 red wires - one for LED and one for battery. Is it ok that these are separate, rather than wired through a single one (per the above diagram)? I would just be connecting one to the battery/recharge port and the other would take place of the orange directly to the LED. Thanks!

Picture please?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

This is the diagram I'm working off of:

Here is the harness - you can see in the pics how the red wires are vertically stacked. I think they connect together, so it shouldn't matter?
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/NB...ness-P833.aspx

OK, I see now. That's fine. They terminate inside the connector.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 06-05-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    OK, I see now. That's fine. they terminate inside the connector.
    Awesomesauce, many thanks.