Thread: Resistor calculation question

Default Resistor calculation question

Hi to all
    Iv been out of the hobby for a while and a bit unsure of my calculations . I am currently using a tri rebel bbw ( blues in parallel and white for foc) running from a single 18650 and NB board. This is my first multi die setup and what i'm unsure of is when i calculate the two resistors for the blues do set current at 1000ma as for a single die or 2000ma with them being in parallel?
    I also wanted to ask if anyone can shed any light on to why you should not use metal film resistors as highlighted in the NB manual. The reason i ask is these seem to be the only type i can find locally with the values close to what i think i need, I am currently looking at using 0.5Ohm 1/2w on all three die's but as i said before i am unsure even after reading as much as i can find on the subject.i also want to stay away from using drive if possible as i read it can cause heat problems

any help is very welcome

When you do your calculations, you use the 1000mA (1A) for each die, as each doe will need a resistor. your 1/2 Ohm, 1/2W is correct. you could use a higher wattage if you need to. Metal film resistors are bad because they can cause shorts if coming into contact with the inside of your hilt, plus they are not the best for dissipating heat. The carbon based resistors are much better.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks very much for clearing that up , i think i'm back on track now. I'v also found a place locally that has some 0.5 Ohm 1w carbon film resistors in stock so i may go with them

Quote Originally Posted by cooky069 View Post
    Thanks very much for clearing that up , i think i'm back on track now. I'v also found a place locally that has some 0.5 Ohm 1w carbon film resistors in stock so i may go with them
    Those would be great!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Sweet , all sorted then . Thanks again