Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WIP My Padawan Lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Private Browser View Post
    Chassis, as in the disks? I didn't think they needed securing if the rods are at the right length they should receive pressure from the male/female threads on each end which should hold them in place? How else could I secure them?
    Chassis is the whole speaker holder, chassis disks cylinder (with battery and board). What usually happens is people tend to use something like speaker holder 5 that has a lip which can be secured between 2 pieces this way the rest doesn't move, assuming you connect the disks to the speaker holder via the rods.

Securing the RICE port via hot glue is iffy, and again, I think you might find that you have less space than you think.

Isn't playing 20 questions with me fun?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Chassis is the whole speaker holder, chassis disks cylinder (with battery and board). What usually happens is people tend to use something like speaker holder 5 that has a lip which can be secured between 2 pieces this way the rest doesn't move, assuming you connect the disks to the speaker holder via the rods.

Securing the RICE port via hot glue is iffy, and again, I think you might find that you have less space than you think.

Isn't playing 20 questions with me fun?
    Quite fun indeed.

Personally I would love the ribbed extension, but I don't want a hilt that is 14" long!

Perhaps I will look into mounting the R.I.C.E. port on the hilt, or to the internal disks.

I was planning on using the rods to connect to the speaker holder, and then the disks that would hold the battery and board.

My point was, what would prevent the whole assembly from sliding up and down the hilt, if it isn't "secured" so that it doesn't slide up and down, and say hit your switch, or something?

The whole idea behind RICE is so that you don't have to keep opening up the hilt, to make manual changes to the SD card to change settings. Though planning for easy access to your SD card is ALWAYS highly recommended. Tearing sabers apart isn't that much fun.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

My point was, what would prevent the whole assembly from sliding up and down the hilt, if it isn't "secured" so that it doesn't slide up and down, and say hit your switch, or something?

The whole idea behind RICE is so that you don't have to keep opening up the hilt, to make manual changes to the SD card to change settings. Though planning for easy access to your SD card is ALWAYS highly recommended. Tearing sabers apart isn't that much fun.
    I've come to the conclusion that the current layout needs to be scrapped as there is no way to achieve what I want with this layout and I don't want to add extension tube after extension tube just to fit all my components because the ignition switch isn't in an optimal spot.

I wasn't aware that the ignition switch can really screw up a layout of hilt components.

I will try to come up with some drawings when I get home from work today, I'm thinking along the lines of utilizing control box(es) to help with mounting the switches and ports.

Padawan regret I have..
    Last edited by Private Browser; 05-18-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Padawan regret I have..
    More you will have. Pay for it, your wallet will. Survive it all, you shall.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

More you will have. Pay for it, your wallet will. Survive it all, you shall.
    It damn.

I might be able to still use the hilt, but I want to draw it out and get your opinions.

Alright, lets give this a reviewing.

Starting from left to right, I'll go through and name the pieces.

Pommel - Style 1
    Bass Speaker & Enclosure - Style V4
    Chassis Disc - Style 2 with holes
    Rods
    14500 Li-ion battery
    Petite Crouton
    Acrylic Disc for PC & 14500 x3
    Nickel Power Switch
    Chassis Disc - Style 2 with holes
    Double ended male connector - Style 1
    3" Female to female extension
    Nickel AUX Switch
    Recharge port
    R.I.C.E. Port
    Emitter - Style 17 with heatsink

Much better, and it would probably be easier for you to install. You should strongly consider using a 14650 pack - it'll give you a slightly longer run time, and you have the space allotted for it already. For an auxiliary switch, you could use the small one you had previously mentioned, it is a lot smaller.

Is this going into your existing hilt, or a "new" one?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

This was planned for the existing hilt,

I am thinking about changing to the small bb style aux switch, and is it possible to mount the RICE and recharge without a bracket? Basically can Tim thread the holes that they go in so that I mount them flush to the hilt without a control box?

If I was going to go with a new one, I'd ditch the hilt all together and have Tim make me some custom MHS pipes with the proper button placements.

I'll change the battery, and if everything else checks out I'll place my order tonight.

This was planned for the existing hilt,

I am thinking about changing to the small bb style aux switch, and is it possible to mount the RICE and recharge without a bracket? Basically can Tim thread the holes that they go in so that I mount them flush to the hilt without a control box?
    Yes, BUT the real question is can you thread them in from the inside with all the wires pre soldered on? It's not going to be nearly as easy as you might think. A RICE / recharge port box might be in your best interest.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines