Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: WIP My Padawan Lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Private Browser View Post
    Extension time..?

I now see why people's hilts are so long..
    Well, most new people don't have a good idea of what will and won't work. That plus they tend to think that Lightsabers are like a TARDIS, small on the outside, and considerably larger on the inside.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Well, most new people don't have a good idea of what will and won't work. That plus they tend to think that Lightsabers are like a TARDIS, small on the outside, and considerably larger on the inside.
    Indeed
    Last edited by Private Browser; 05-17-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Which is why I sketched out all my parts onto graph paper to see if it'll all fit when designing the saber I'm currently building. Didn't want to spend $600+ and not have enough room. That's my advice for your next build, draw it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenXp View Post
    Which is why I sketched out all my parts onto graph paper to see if it'll all fit when designing the saber I'm currently building. Didn't want to spend $600+ and not have enough room. That's my advice for your next build, draw it out.
    Great idea, do you treat each cube on the graph paper as 1"?

I think figure something out, I'm considering putting an extension above my hilt to store the battery, while I store the PC and speaker by my pommel.

I used a 1:1 scale, the parts are small enough to fit on a standard sheet of paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Private Browser View Post
    Great idea, do you treat each cube on the graph paper as 1"?

I think figure something out, I'm considering putting an extension above my hilt to store the battery, while I store the PC and speaker by my pommel.
    While I'm all for planning things out on paper, what you really need to get use to is figuring out the actual sizes of various things which are 3 dimensional. You likewise need to invest in a ruler that handles inches and metric measurements, and know how to translate one to the other. Let's try a simple quiz...

The battery pack I dissuaded you from getting, do you know how long it is in mm? In inches?

In any extension piece, do you know how much actual usable space you'll have?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

While I'm all for planning things out on paper, what you really need to get use to is figuring out the actual sizes of various things which are 3 dimensional. You likewise need to invest in a ruler that handles inches and metric measurements, and know how to translate one to the other. Let's try a simple quiz...

The battery pack I dissuaded you from getting, do you know how long it is in mm? In inches?

In any extension piece, do you know how much actual usable space you'll have?
    He's not wrong, I won't know if my sketching is going to work for sure till I have the parts or a PVC mockup. I'm learning a lot about saber building from SS and FJK's forum posts, thank you.

Here is a rough drawing of parts inside the saber,

I see a choke has magically appeared.

The RICE port (hole) comes out of the hilt where?

Also, how are you securing the chassis within your hilt?

How many quick disconnects do you think you'll have in total?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

I see a choke has magically appeared.

The RICE port (hole) comes out of the hilt where?

Also, how are you securing the chassis within your hilt?

How many quick disconnects do you think you'll have in total?
    Yes, I wanted to add a choke anyway,

The rice port will stay inside the hilt, I got the idea from Genesis Customs, from a hilt he did once. I will probably hot glue the R.I.C.E. port to the hilt internally.

I will open the choke and connect the R.I.C.E. cable. Less drilling on my end.

Chassis, as in the disks? I didn't think they needed securing if the rods are at the right length they should receive pressure from the male/female threads on each end which should hold them in place? How else could I secure them?

One disconnect from the LED to the board, one from the recharge port to the board/battery, so only 2 for now.