Thread: My first build, looking for guidance.

Default My first build, looking for guidance.

Hello everyone, I have recently become interested in building my first saber in preparation for the new movies. I have spent the last couple days perusing the forums and trying to wrap my head around all the information here and I think I have the basic concept. However I still have a few questions and would like some feedback on my design. I want to start with a stunt saber as my first.

I plan on using a MHS hilt with a custom shroud. Black/gold powder coating with a brass shroud(maybe). I'm going for a cross between Mace Windu/Luke ROTJ hilt. I will list the MHS parts I have in mind for the moment.
    Pommel Style 3
    5/6 inch double female extension
    ribbed choke combo
    LED blade holder style 14

I am not artist so I am having trouble picking PC that goes well together, all I know is I would like a black/gold theme. I have a couple specific questions about these parts.

Would I need to use a plain double female extension for an AV switch or can I use one of the MHS hilt main bodies(guarded or unguarded) with a beveled adapter for the AV switch?
    I am having trouble understanding how the sound board affects the color/look of the blade, if I don't have a sound board would my blade be just as bright?
    I really love the look of the vaders vault purple sabers, but I am slightly confused on what LED package I would need to purchase to replicate that.

Thank you for your time,
    Osameshar

First off, Welcome to the Forums.

To answer your questions:
    You can use one of the main body pieces as long as you specify which switch hole service you need.
    The sound card (depending on which one you select) will allow for various effects like shimmering, pulsing, Flash on Clash, etc, not to mention just having sounds.
    VV's Purple is a mixture of Red and Blue (or Royal Blue - if you use Tri-Rebels).
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thanks for the welcome. I was leaning toward using a Tri-Rebel light source, with a BuckPuck 1000mA 4-wire driver. What kind of power source would that require? My original thought was to use one of the 4AA battery packs.

Thank you for your time,
    Osameshar

If you are using a BuckPuck without a sound card, the 4AA battery pack holder will be fine. I'm not sure how well it will work if you want to try and mix colors (which you would have to do for purple). For a single color, it would be fine though.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Ok, I will look into it a bit more. My main goal is to have a nice color/bright blade since I have no real space requirement due to not having a sound card. Whichever power source provides that is probably what I will get.

If you were thinking of a main color (Red, Blue Green, White), then you would be OK with what you have. It's when you get into multiple dice setups and color mixing where things get tricky, because of the power requirements are that much more. The sound cards we use today are designed with that in mind. Stunt setups (no sound) are mainly just a bright main (non mixed) color, and no sound.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines