Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Want to build a hilt, a little overwhelmed with information.

Default Want to build a hilt, a little overwhelmed with information.

Hello world!

I've just entered the world of hilt building. Currently I'm trying to piece together my ideal saber out of the assisted program and pieces in the store. I'm also trying to look around the store and the forums and each topic and and and

And its all a bit overwhelming. I don't want to set up electronics for my first hilt. No blade, no hilt, no sounds. I just want a beautiful hilt. I come to you now to ask if there's anything I need to know before setting out on this journey. I've tried to read all the FAQs and the like, but many are upwards of 4 years old.

If I just want to build a pretty hilt, what should I keep in mind? Thank you all for you advice ahead of time!

First off, Welcome to the Forums Lily.

if you are just looking for an "empty hilt", you can use the MHS builder to try out various designs. Once you have something you like, you can order the parts. If you think you will want to add light and sound, if you post your design, we can tell you if it will all fit inside your proposed design or not. Take your time, go through the gallery, look at previous builds and you can get an idea of what is possible.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 04-24-2014 at 07:48 AM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Agreed. The MHS builder is a great place to start when designing a hilt. Even if you start with an empty hilt, you'll nearly always be able to add lights and sound at a later time.

Since you're just working with an empty hilt at this time, I'll give you a few tips. Most of the pommels are open at the end, and require a pommel insert. You'll need a MPS clip to hold the insert in place. A blade plug is normally used to protect your eyes from the high powered LED when the blade is removed. It can also be used to provide a finished look to a belt hanger. Along those lines, you'll want to consider how (or if) you'll be attaching the saber to a belt. Covertec clips and D-rings are common. Some people build custom holsters, and others just carry the saber.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Okay, I've been playing around with the MHS and designing and redesigning. In doing this, I have a few questions.

First, there seems to be pieces in the MHS that I cannot find in the shop itself. I looked for a few pieces to try and get a better idea of what they look like, and how they are used. For example, under Misc. there is "Activation Box Style 7". I was curious what that would look like in practice, so I went to find it in the store, but it isn't anywhere I've checked. Have I overlooked something?

Additionally, I want to build a hilt for a saber that is single blade* but wielded two handed. How big should the grip / hilt area be to comfortably hold that?

*the actual hilt will be dual bladed, but for its design the second blade would remain unlit for most confrontations. Essentially I want it to appear as a single bladed hilt for the most part.

Sorry if I'm asking the wrong questions. Thanks so much for your help already!

Quote Originally Posted by LilyHaze View Post
    Okay, I've been playing around with the MHS and designing and redesigning. In doing this, I have a few questions.

First, there seems to be pieces in the MHS that I cannot find in the shop itself. I looked for a few pieces to try and get a better idea of what they look like, and how they are used. For example, under Misc. there is "Activation Box Style 7". I was curious what that would look like in practice, so I went to find it in the store, but it isn't anywhere I've checked. Have I overlooked something?
    Box 8 is basically the same as box 7.

Additionally, I want to build a hilt for a saber that is single blade* but wielded two handed. How big should the grip / hilt area be to comfortably hold that?

*the actual hilt will be dual bladed, but for its design the second blade would remain unlit for most confrontations. Essentially I want it to appear as a single bladed hilt for the most part.

Sorry if I'm asking the wrong questions. Thanks so much for your help already!
    Single bladed lightsabers are typically anywhere from 10 1/2" to about 13". Double bladed lightsabers (whether you use the second blade or not) are usually a minimum of 20". If you have a sample of something you like, I recommend you post a link to it so we can better see what you are talking about.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Activation boxes are in the store under the heading "Clamps and Boxes" http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Clamps-Boxes-C57.aspx

FJK's measurements are about right for single and double bladed sabers. Some people go for a range between the two, around 14"-18" for a 2-handed saber (though with only a single blade.)
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Box 8 is basically the same as box 7.
    Yea somehow I completely missed the box section. Found it now. Feel a little silly. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    Single bladed lightsabers are typically anywhere from 10 1/2" to about 13". Double bladed lightsabers (whether you use the second blade or not) are usually a minimum of 20". If you have a sample of something you like, I recommend you post a link to it so we can better see what you are talking about.
    Still making mockup designs on MHS. Once I get closer to what I actually want I'll be sure to post a picture. Is the 20" to fit inside all of the electronics, for reasons of grip, or just a standard in design?

Still making mockup designs on MHS. Once I get closer to what I actually want I'll be sure to post a picture. Is the 20" to fit inside all of the electronics, for reasons of grip, or just a standard in design?
    Typically it's that long to fit electronics into it. However, if you have ever "fought" with a double bladed saber, you would want your hands somewhat spaced apart. I'm sure if you went throughout he gallery, you will come across a few double bladed designs if you go back far enough.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

20" is more of a design thing. The size of your hands will determine an appropriate size for you.

Also because people like to build double bladed sabers that can be separated into two functional halves.

Go down to home depot or its like and buy 1.5" OD PVC and cut it to a few lengths to try what feels best. If you have some martial arts training with swords you may have an idea what works well with your body. For single blade that i prefer to weild in pairs i prefer a 30-31" blade and 9-12" Hilts. My single 2 hander is 14" in length, this is based on my long sword training so more a hand and a half. 20" would be more of a saberstaff for me.