Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First real attempt at shroud making

Default First real attempt at shroud making

As the title states, this is my first real attempt at shroud making. I have made a small shroud before that was nothing more than a sleeve cut at a 45 degree angle and mounted over the blade holder. This time I tried my hand at making a real, full length shroud.

I used the tips from this thread...

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...-ing-Sinktubes

...and the result speaks for itself.

I am terrible at remembering to take picture during my projects. I get too caught up in the moment to pause. But you can get the idea what I did. I made a template on graph paper, glued it to the sleeve, then cut it with the Dremel. I then fine tuned it with files and emory cloth.

This shroud and build is obviously Qui Gon inspired with a bit of my own. I plan to paint the shroud black so the saber will have the opposite color scheme of Qui Gon's. I joking call this saber The Reverse Qui Gon, which actually sounds dirty

This project, like most of mine projects, is not ground breaking or pioneering new things in the field of saber-smithing. But I like to show off these pictures as proof that the information on this forum and the tutorials actually work. This is a testimony to the information on the forum contributed by the great saber-smiths who came before me.

Enjoy the pictures and thank you to all who helped inspire me with guidance and tutorials.
    Last edited by chicago.jedi; 04-21-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Good work! It looks really smooth.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Good job! It's easy to screw up a long straight line on shroudwork. It looks really good from here.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

That is some great shroud work, first time or nay! I also like the general design. You mention it is not ground breaking, lets face it, those of us without our own mill or many thousands of dollars worth of equipment are probably going to find it an uphill battle to actually produce a never-been-seen before design, BUT, 10 - 15 years ago, being able to build the sort of saber you have there would have been but a dream for most folks, without the very same tools just mentioned. And yet now most people can have, what I see as, a fantastic saber! Congrats on your build, and good luck finishing!

Nice work! Don't forget to ease or chamfer those edges slightly or you may end up with a nice long really annoying cut in your hand. Trust me.

Excellent job. Compliments the hilt body nicely.

You did a wonderful job on this shroud!

TIP:

To reduce the appearance of vertical scratches (the up and down ones along the edges) and to return the piece to more of a brushed finish, use steel wool and rotate (or spin) the part horizontally.

That will clean this part right up to perfect!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Quote Originally Posted by dgdve View Post
    You did a wonderful job on this shroud!

TIP:

To reduce the appearance of vertical scratches (the up and down ones along the edges) and to return the piece to more of a brushed finish, use steel wool and rotate (or spin) the part horizontally.

That will clean this part right up to perfect!!
    First off, I just want to tell chicago.jedi that you did a really nice job on this! There are so many people who get lazy and just leave dirty or jagged edges. Way to put in the work!

I'll echo what dgdve said. Use graduating steel wool, starting with like #00 and go up to #0000. This will eliminate those mark and give the whole shroud a "brushed" look. It will also help prep it in case you decide to paint or powder-coat it. Keep up the good work, man!
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

Great shroud

I remember when I started my first one, that "it's so fun to do" and "I'll never do that again, takes too long" mixed feeling lol

I'll also of dgdve and Takanis, only I'll just point to the tutorial you've followed (the tips thread in your first post).
    In the part "Sanding Down a Sinktube", Master Jedye uses a drill, an adapter to put the tube on and sandpaper.
    I used that method to clean polish my shrouds (alum and brass), and it works great to remove all traces. I went from 800grits to 3000grits sandpaper and the result was shiny (didn't have steel whool at the time but I'll try that too next).

The only problem I had is finding an adapter to put the shroud on the drill... I did with what I had (that is not much),which was attach a PVC tube to a hole saw and somehow adjust the PVC tube diameter to match the shroud tube with tape... lol... but it worked just fine, so only the result counts :P

Keep up the great work mate
    Clicky Sig =>

agreed with the above comments - for a first time shroud, this is a very nice result! Strong work!
    +1 on the 0000 steel wool comment above.
    LOCKHEED