Thread: Hi guys, about to start my 1st build today, but 1 question has surfaced.

Default Hi guys, about to start my 1st build today, but 1 question has surfaced.

Hi guys. This will be my 1st build and I'm expecting the parts to drive up any moment now. I've really tried to do my "homework" as to learn as much as I could on my own from forum links and such BUT I've ran into a bit of an quandary..... I've noticed some simple wiring diagrams have the resistor for the main LED tied in past the switch on the + (red) line..... and on other diagrams (and on the TCSS u-tube clip) its tied in on the - (black) line directly between the battery box and main LED. I searched the forum for several for a reason for this but never found one... Before I noticed this, I was just planning on soldering the resistor (1 ohm, 2w) in on the + before the main LED... This will still be correct, wont it ?

Welcome to the Forums!

Yes, wiring the resistor on the (+) wire before the main LED will work fine.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

FJK is correct. The resistor can go on either the (+) or the (-) wire, and it's best to put it adjacent to the LED. I usually put mine on the (-), but it's just a matter of personal preference.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Great, sounds good, tyvm

If your using JST clips put the resistor on the LED side of the clip. Then if at some point you want to swap out the unit for a different color you don't have to do a tear down to recalculate your resistors.

You just build the saber so it pushes full power to the Jst connectors at the top then you build the MHS heat sink unit to plug in and keep its resistors with it (this way you can swap out an RRW unit and its resistors, for a GGW with different resistors down the road..)

AND you wont have to physically open the saber.. Just remove blade holder and swap out units (since they keep the resistors with them on that side of the clip).

I hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Cool, sounds like a good idea. I'll remember that on my next build. I originally wanted to go with a BuckPuck on this one but the 4 wire 1000mA were oos at the time of my order. I'm starting to plan for my second build now (Planning on a Dooku version) but since I'm going to add a NB sound board to this one I don't think I'm going to be able to use the 700mA BP because of the minimum BP voltage and the max NB voltage...there's only like a .5v difference unless I'm mistaken. I think your idea would work great for this next build. I wish TCSS offered a 30* offset for the MHS builder heh heh..

Quote Originally Posted by Sowien View Post
    Cool, sounds like a good idea. I'll remember that on my next build. I originally wanted to go with a BuckPuck on this one but the 4 wire 1000mA were oos at the time of my order. I'm starting to plan for my second build now (Planning on a Dooku version) but since I'm going to add a NB sound board to this one I don't think I'm going to be able to use the 700mA BP because of the minimum BP voltage and the max NB voltage...there's only like a .5v difference unless I'm mistaken. I think your idea would work great for this next build. I wish TCSS offered a 30* offset for the MHS builder heh heh..
    If you are using a NB, you DO NOT use a buck puck with it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com