Thread: Greeting everyone

Default Greeting everyone

I plan on making some cool sabers. This place is great. Good people and great shop.
    I'm fairly good mechanically but I don't know how to do electronics
    I plan on making 4
    My Girlfriend's (the first one I'll make) will be purple blade (haven't decided to go with white led and filter (the easy route) or tri-rebel only attaching blue and red) it will also have a crystal chamber with a large amethyst inside suspended by brass wire.
    Lightsaber electronics.jpg
    a potentiometer to use on the red to dial it in so it is not too pink
    The questions I have are what resisters do I need after the Buck puck
    the blue and red will be run in parallel
    the accent LED will be NTE30121 - 5mm Super Bright Purple LED Indicator (hopefully it will make the Amethyst look like it is glowing
    Reverse voltage: 5V
    Continuous forward current: 30mA
    Peak forward current: 100mA

The other sabers are TBD
    Thank you for any help

Welcome.

if you use resistors you wont need a buck puck. Your Diagram might work, you wont need a resistor on the blue LED (1000mA is fine) but the red LED maxes out at 700mA.

I haven't played with potentiometers but I think you will find they will take up some room, especialy since you want a chrystal chamber as well.

Try the Royal Blue instead of just blue LED. I guess what I would do is temporarily wire stuff up, dial it in with a pot and then check the pots setting with a meter and use resistor of the same value. I know there are a few threads posted by people making purple blades. You should be able to find them with a little searching

Again welcome.
    [edited after doing a little reading]
    Last edited by Sevinzol; 03-23-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Welcome to the Forums!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank you everyone and thanks for the suggestion on the royal blue. With the pot I was going to use it that way. The purple threads I read where using sound, wile sound is cool I wanted this one to be silent and light up the room.