Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First lightsabre quick questions

Default First lightsabre quick questions

Well I want to make a lightsabre, I have an idea in my head for it, but I have no real idea how to make it.....or if what I want to do will work.
    With the design I am tentatively going with, it seems I that going with a pvc build, but I am not sure of the pros/cons of pvc over metal
    I do not want a button, I want a dimmer switch, I have been told this does not work as well as just a button, but I was not told how
    I want to take some cheap crystal. ( amethyst ) over the LED to give it colour, would this even work?

These are the "fough sketches" of the hilt, any advise is welcome.

First, Welcome to the Forums.

OK, you mentioned a dimmer switch, why would you ever want to use that - and do you know how big they can be?
    You also mentioned putting a crystal over a LED to give (the crystal?) some color.

What are you planning to use as a power source? Sound card? I think more details will be necessary here.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Thank you, it is nice to be here.
    Well I always imagined my thumb "swiveling" up to turn my lightsaber on, so I want to make it happen. I am aware of the size of most dimmer switches, I have to either have to find a smaller one, or work around it.
    The crystal is purple, to give the blade colour.

For now I am not planing on a sound card, with this being my first lightsabre, I am keeping it basic, I am getting "Build Your Own Seoul P4 Electronics Kit,"

Easier I think for you to use a slide switch instead of a dimmer switch. Much easier to find a slide switch in the size needed for a lightsaber.

If you want a purple blade, you use a multi-die LED with Red and Blue dice running in parallel. Unlike the lightsabers in the movies, our crystals are merely decorative, and do not change the color of our blades.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I did find a suitable dimmer switch, just take forever to get it shipped here, So what about the pvc vs metal? The pvc is cheaper and looks easier to work with for what I want, but how will it stack up against a metal one?

It's ultimately up to you, PVC is plastic and metal is metal. The PVC might be easier for you to work with, depending on what tools you have.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

I have just ordered parts for my first light saber and found someone with access to a lathe. This enables me to change the hilt so it comes closer to what I want.
    Personal home page: ilpostino.no // Photo page: pentaxianer.no // Travel blog: Globetrekker.no

These are a, "low power" test is done with; a jade stone, amethyst stone, white office printer paper, and a 3$ flashlight.
    These test show that light does travel through the stones, but at as well as I would have liked.
    My questions are, can I expect the led will be brighter than the 3$ pocket flashlight, and if so would this work much better?

Hi LordDexx,
    I like how you have 'roughed' out the look of your saber, and I can see your imagination at work with how you want the saber to work. If by using the dimmer switch you are looking for the 'ramping effect', having the light 'travel up' the blade, the sound cards that Tim sells in the shop can help create this effect. ( I am aware you are not thinking of a sound card yet)
    And as mentioned, the LEDs used will create any colour light you wish, there are also coloured discs available that can be used with a white LED, that is also a little simpler to wire up than some multi die LEDs. Two of the biggest issues with the LEDs used in sabers are the heat, and the light direction. So even if you use PVC you will still need to use a heatsink and focus lens, all available,again, at TCSS. These are even available pre wired, so all the most difficult work has been done for you. Good luck!

While you van shine light through a crystal and get a colored light out the other side, it is NOT how we get sabers to have various colored blades. Silver Serpent explained what would be necessary in our application. Will your little experiment work better with a better LED? Maybe, but I am very willing to bet that you will still be disappointed with the ultimate outcome.

We get bright colors my mixing LED colors, NOT by trying to stick a crystal in front of a LED.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines