Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First build for Guardian

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

Post First build for Guardian

Here are the two sister sabers I have been planning since I found this awesome forum in 08. There are still alot of things I need to learn and p,an on doing with these sabers. For instance I'm seriously considering getting a brass weathered shroud for the first. These two were assembled using they MHS saber builder. Please any ideas, thoughts, critiques, and etc are welcome and needed.image.jpg

I'm currently thinking for LEDs one being a white rebel with an Oklahoma yellow color disc, while the other I'm not sure, any suggestions to pair up?

I'm planning on putting a NB in both , I have most of the tools necessary to set up. I will post the parts list later .
    Be forgiving of the past, hopeful of the future and mindful of the present.

Those look good for starting out. You should easily be able to do both of those with NB's. I'm not a huge fan of using color filters, but other than that, Good Luck!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

I agree with FJK on the filters. There are already way too many possibilities for getting the right color without filtering your precious, precious lumens.

Great sabers though. Extremely elegant.

I'm currently thinking for LEDs one being a white rebel with an Oklahoma yellow color disc, while the other I'm not sure, any suggestions to pair up?
    I also agree with what Ty and FJK said. The store provides plenty of color options already assembled in a heatsink module right here. I?d give a try to the amber luxeon if you?re set on yellow, and put a green on the other one. If you want 'exact' colors, that involves using a Luxeon Tri-Rebel star, which has three colored leds you can mix in order to get the shade you want, but that requires fiddling with potentiometers or resistors.

As I said, plenty of options and a truckload of available information around this forum

I guess I'll chime in an echo the anti-filter sentiment. I've used filters once. Never again. Colour mixing is pretty easy, even on an NB. It'll cut the run time but it's worth it if you really want that a more natural looking variant of the colour (a mixed RGB makes a much better and brighter yellow than a filter ever could, I promise you. I just did one a couple days ago).

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

I didn't realize I had options. There was someone on the forum who built a swing themed, they had a reeeeaaaaaaly nice yellow hue. I'm planning on putting either an AV switch or momentary in both, possibly in the pommel. I don't know anything about color mixing yet. I have seen some amber less, and they just don't do it for me. I like the idea of green, but what hue? At first I was thinking veridian if I could swing it. Also debating different materials for the chassis sled. I was thinking PVC or something like it surrounding by a foam luke substance.

You may not be able to put A/V momentaries in the pommels you have, and have space for the speaker. You can also use chassis parts sold in the store

While very basic color mixing is "possible" with a NB, you would probably get better results with a PCv3.

Veridian Green is Green + White. Yellow is Red + Green
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

On a "yellow" or "gold" blade, another LED color you may want to look at is the Luxeon Warm White 2775K. I used it in a tri rebel setup with an NB and it works very nicely with both the lith-ion 18650 and the Nimh 4.8 volt battery setup. If you want a look at the blade color, you should be able to find some pics in the thread for the saber I built last with it. Just search "Illumination" and it should bring it up. Gold/yellow doesn't seem to work well with filters (that was my first idea when I built that saber but the results were... unsatisfying.). Good luck on the build and make sure you post some pics when you're done.

Board Lurker
    Board Lurker

I saw it. I really love that shade of yellow. So lemme get this straight, so I. Gonna need to go with a tri rebel set up, with a warm white 2775k. What other two colors am I gonna need to blend. It's a three led set up,on a star correct. I still have alot of reading to do to figure out how I'm going to pull this off , btw you are right, the blended looks better than the filters. Waaaaay better
    Be forgiving of the past, hopeful of the future and mindful of the present.

Just because there are 3 dice, doesn't mean you need to use all 3. You only really need to use to to mix a color effectively.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines