Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on my plan

Default Advice on my plan

Greetings,

I'm completely new to the saber scene and my knowledge of electronics is pretty dismal, nevertheless I'd really love to take a stab at the process. I'd like to know If my concept is feasible at all and whether or not I have the required parts to make it a reality.
    The general idea is a ROTJ style hilt with the AV switch on the 4" Double female connector.

SaberBuilder_rendeblackr.jpg

MHS parts:

4" Double female threaded connector
    MHS "new style" Heat Sink V2
    Screw on LED blade holder style 8
    MPS Pommel style 3 v2
    MHS choke style 2
    MHS ribbed extension
    Machine AV switch hole

Electronics:

Rebel Star LED & MHS Heatsink Module
    2AA Battery holder
    16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary Green Ring Switch
    20mA DynaOhm? Variable Resistor
    Dual 22 gauge wire (sold by the foot)

My main question is which resistor should I be using with the 2AA Battery holder and Rebel Star LED? Are there any other glaring issues here that I've overlooking.

I'd greatly appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks

Maroon
    Last edited by Maroon; 01-28-2014 at 07:27 PM.

First, Welcome to the Forums. Now for my questions:
    What type of batteries (voltage) do you plan on using? That will help us figure out what type of resistor for the main LED you might use.
    Also are you planning on having sound in the saber?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    First, Welcome to the Forums. Now for my questions:
    What type of batteries (voltage) do you plan on using? That will help us figure out what type of resistor for the main LED you might use.
    Also are you planning on having sound in the saber?
    Thanks,

No sound. Just a stunt saber at the moment.

I was thinking of using standard Duracell AA (1.5v). Is this a bad idea?

The Li-Ion don't ship internationally so that's out the picture.

Thanks
    Last edited by Maroon; 01-29-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Thanks,

No sound. Just a stunt saber at the moment.

I was thinking of using standard Duracell AA (1.5v). Is this a bad idea?

The Li-Ion don't ship internationally so that's out the picture.

Thanks
    What color LED were you thinking of running?
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

What color LED were you thinking of running?
    Luxeon Rebel Star (Green)

Luxeon Rebel Star (Green)
    OK, 2 Regular batteries will not have enough voltage to power the LED properly. You should look to find some Li-ion batteries in the UK. I know they are sold there, somewhere - there is a thread around here somewhere that lists places in various countries. a 14500 (which gives off 3.7V and a blank) plus a small resistor should be just fine for your needs. Google 14500 batteries in the UK, and I'm sure you'll find something.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

OK, 2 Regular batteries will not have enough voltage to power the LED properly. You should look to find some Li-ion batteries in the UK. I know they are sold there, somewhere - there is a thread around here somewhere that lists places in various countries. a 14500 (which gives off 3.7V and a blank) plus a small resistor should be just fine for your needs. Google 14500 batteries in the UK, and I'm sure you'll find something.
    Ah, Ok. I've tracked down some sites offering 14500s for a decent price.

What resistor should I go for?
    Last edited by Maroon; 01-29-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Ah, Ok. I've tracked down some sites offering 14500s for a decent price.

What resistor should I purchase?
    If you are using just one (which is 3.7V), a 27 Ohm 1/4W resistor would be ideal.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

If you are using just one (which is 3.7V), a 27 Ohm 1/4W resistor would be ideal.
    What about using two batteries? I can't seem to find a single cell battery holder on the site, aside from the 18659 Cell holder. Will that hold the 14500s?

Sorry for the moronic questions. Just want to be sure I've got it all right.
    Last edited by Maroon; 01-29-2014 at 02:19 PM.

What about using two batteries? I can't seem to find a single cell battery holder on the site, aside from the 18659 Cell holder. Will that hold the 14500s?

Sorry for the moronic questions. Just want to be sure I've got it all right.
    14500's are AA size. If you use one with a dummy cell (essentially a blank) you can use a 2AA holder (1 14500, one dummy cell) without a problem.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines