Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tri-Rebel & NB

Default Tri-Rebel & NB

So I'm trying to finish a saber but I'm having trouble with the LED. This is my second time using the Tri-Rebel and my first one was perfectly fine. I'm using a GGW, wired in series, a 1omh 2W resistor, and a Nano Biscotte. Every time I test my connections, the LED doesn't turn on whatsoever. I tested with a Lux. Rebel (red) and it worked perfectly fine. Then I wired the GGW with a single die, works perfectly fine. Everything about the board is working fine; sounds, recharge/kill key, switch, everything. I even tried the GGW wired in series on my Petit Crouton saber; both dice light up like they should.

What the heck is going on? I know the dice on the Tri-Rebel are fine and working, I know everything on my NB is working. Is it my setup? When last I read, it was possible to wire a GGW with both greens in series and have a good, functioning NB saber. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-Taka View Post
    When last I read, it was possible to wire a GGW with both greens in series and have a good, functioning NB saber. Am I wrong?
    *FJK nods like a bobble head doll* Greens in series would require 6.8V or thereabouts. You would have to wire them in PARALLEL.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Crapola! How much does that reduce my run time by? I have no problem getting another resistor to work with.. but at least I know now for the future.
    Also, that was the funniest way to describe nodding and I can't stop imagining it.

If you run both at 1A, I am going to guess it will cut it by close to half. On the bright side, it'll light up now.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Yeah, that's what I though. Good thing I have a huge battery. Now I wait for another resistor. Thanks FJK!

If you want to figure out the approximate runtime of your saber, then add up all the mA of your LEDs, and throw in about 350mA for the board itself. Then divide the total mAh of your battery pack by that number. That's your runtime in hours.

With the 3400mAh Panasonic 18650 battery, you'd get:

3400 / (1000+1000+350) = 1.45 hours of runtime. On paper. Your mileage may vary.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Your mileage may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Jedi Knight View Post
    *FJK nods like a bobble head doll*
    I love this forum so much.

That's not too bad, I suppose. Thanks, SS. I'll have to bookmark your post.. as I've done with many of your posts.

Good idea.

Best idea, I think. Most of my time on this forum is spent reading and when I find good advice, I bookmark it for future use. 52% of my bookmarked posts are Silver Serpent; 47% are Forgetful Jedi Knight; the other 1% is LDM. That the best advice I can give to users here: read, and bookmark advice posts from FJK or SS.. or LDM.

Also, you should be safe setting the drive parameter of the NB to about 940, then dropping the resistors altogether.

(3.7 - 3.4) / 2 = 0.15 ohm

(From the NB Manual): "When getting such a small resistor value (below 0.5 ohm, AND Vled < Vcell), the drive can be calculated as follows:"

drive = 1023 * (3.4 / 3.7) = ~940

Any NB experts want to chime to to verify my math, please?