Thread: Thoughts and opinions on design

Default Thoughts and opinions on design

This is what I believe I want to go with. Box #19 will go in the 3" double female extension and hold the switches and recharge port there. I was thinking of making a shroud for the main hilt body and another for the blade holder. Not sure if I want to keep that blade holder style though.

The other issue in the design is planning for the electronics. How would you come up with a chassis system for it? Could you fit the speaker, Petit Crouton and battery pack in there? I'd like easy access to the SD card and a clean looking chassis made. Something to show off to friends and possibly later upgrade more on the aesthetics. The concern of course is the ribbed extension. I know there are some chassis discs that can fit there but I haven't been able to see anyone do the exact set-up that I have in mind. And no, I'm not sure the exact battery pack to go with either.

Lastly, if I went with FoC that means more room needed for the power extender board too right? Also I saw in the shop the PCBs under the batteries and packs section. I haven't seen anyone use those so is that more needed electronics?

Sorry but I've been scouring the boards and searching and my heads about to pop. LOL

SaberBuilder_render03.jpg

Well, the things you need to think about are the following:

The ribbed section only has an ID of 1.15", meaning the acrylic disks won't work. It is possible to still pull it off, put it will be TIGHT, and a clean chassis will be pushing your luck.

If you buy a pre-made pack, you don't have to worry about the PCBs, you only need those if you want to try and make your own battery pack.

You could have a decent build and reasonably easy access to the SD card, but in my opinion, the ribbed section is what is messing the "internals design" up.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    You could have a decent build and reasonably easy access to the SD card, but in my opinion, the ribbed section is what is messing the "internals design" up.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. But I believe the ribbed section would be a great lower end grip while the other hand will grab around the choke. I am trying to keep the design from resembling an Obi saber or Luke saber as much as possible. But of course in the same kind of scheme of parts. Hence the ribbed section being lower.

I could ask Tim to custom make a part with the 1.25" ID with a ribbed section to match as much as possible. It couldn't be as deep of grooves, yet maybe they would be enough to make a good grip. I was trying to not have any custom made parts though, to save on costs.

I'm not sure he can go deep enough to give that effect on a standard piece. However he does do some pieces with a large OD. You might be able to get the ribbed pattern put into a larger OD which would give you the 1.25 ID. Just a thought. Another idea is to go with a nano board and single 18650. Tim has 1.15 chassis parts for the nano board and 18650.

I was looking at the fluted extensions. They all have the full 1.25" ID. It might be possible to use a 4" DF but instead have the grooves go around instead of long ways, like the fluted. I read the review on that part and they liked the grip it made, so I'm guessing it's pushing the depth he can make but still deep enough.

I've heard of parts being prototypes. Possibly this idea could become a reality and even a new line of extensions for different lengths? Could help others work around the same problem while achieving the look they want?

Anyone with experience on purchasing custom parts have an idea of what this might would cost?

You need to have Tim quote you a price based on what you want and what he can do. He's done lots of custom stuff for me and it's always been great.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Council Member
    Sith Lord

It would be possible to build a chassis in htat design, but it would not necessarily be a beginner build. The battery pack would have to be in the 3" extension under the switch box and a custom chassis with the 1.15" parts to hold your board and speaker and fit inside the ribbed section.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

I did a build with a 3 inch flute and a 4 inch ribbed. I fit the PC on top of the side-by-side battery. It was a perfect fit, if I would not have jacked up my led driver with a short.

MHS ribbed extension
    3" Fluted double female threaded connector

http://youtu.be/pZnEk0z2CAc