Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G.O.T.H. "Glorious Hunter" - MHS custom build with Spark

Thumbs up G.O.T.H. "Glorious Hunter" - MHS custom build with Spark

Glorious Hunter
    with NEC's Spark

Hey saberfans!

Here is a MHS build that I just finished after a couple of months work.
    While working on my saberstaff project (which I didn't update for a while in the A to Z build section of this forum :P), I decided to ditch a MHS 5" extension from its design (replaced by a MHS coupler prototype).
    So I wanted to take profit of that extension and its activation box in order to build another MHS saber from it.

I came up with a design I wanted to try and test. I also wanted to try a brass shroud, make a crystal chamber with a blade matching color crystal, an easy access to the soundboard.
    I'm pretty happy with the result

[EDIT] Small update: Limited Edition Brass Blade Plug finally came in, so here a few new pictures to celebrate ^^

Specs
    - MHS hilt
    - black and gold paint - emitter, body and activation box.
    - Custom brass shroud
    - X-4 RRGB main Led
    - Dice swap for up to 6 blade color
    - 2 RGB accent Leds
    - Custom crystal chamber
    - Spark soundboard
    - Single 18650 Cell
    - 3D printed kill key
    - 2W Bass Mini Speaker
    - 7/8" SaberBlade

Full A to Z build log can be seen on my website for those interested (too many pictures lol).

Photos

Some build in progress pictures:

First test, while waiting for the new MHS parts to arrive

Setting up Dice Swap with golden pins (Check here for more info)

How it looks now, when removing the upper hilt part.
    Gives a pretty easy access to Park's SD card and Dice Swap pins.

The board is secured and held to the chassis with Nitto tape
    (not electrical tape that most dislike in builds, this one is like a heatshrink tape, it's very thin and perfect for the small 1.15" ID of the extension)

Repainted the activation box, keeping the same strip but in gold.

Here is the completed chassis with the custom crystal chamber.
    Won't go into details here, but I'm very happy how it turned out.
    The "crystal is a small piece of glass, naturally polished by the sea, which I found in my hometown beach... gives a special and unique meaning to it ^^.
    I cut a small window in the main hilt section to be able to see that chamber.
    I did not go for a full reveal as I wanted to keep to overall build strong enough for playing with it.

Main shroud randomly came out of my mind, I'm pleased that it went ok at the 1st attempt, cause those things take so much time

Thanks for watching,
    Cheers
    Last edited by Darth Ryo; 01-19-2014 at 07:44 AM.
    Clicky Sig =>

Such a wonderful assortment of little details! I love the color scheme. How does that deep ribbed section feel in your hand? It looks pretty comfortable.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Another really awesome saber Ry?! Really like the color scheme and the designs of the shroud. Just noticed the empire symbol kill key - very cool!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Very nice - got a great overall visual feel. I really like the offset wraparound shroud, has some wonderful details and shows that a lot of thought went into making something look so clean and simple.

Thanks a lot for the warm comments guys ^^

@SilverSerpent: I really wanted to give the extension a shot, and I'm not disappointed. First I like the look a lot, especially with the black paint, and then, it is nice to hold. Actually the way I hold it (taking into account the center of gravity with the blade I use) starts on the brass ring just below the emitter, so the extension offers a very nice rest and grip for the rest of my rather big hand. So yeah, the feeling is quite comfortable indeed
    Clicky Sig =>

a really cool saber!

That's just beautiful! Gives me some more ideas to consider for the one I'm designing.

wow, that's great, I like it a lot

Excellent work Darth Rya!! I really want to create a shroud for my saber and I was considering a brass one. Where did you buy the brass? I don't remember seeing that type of pipe last time I was in home depot... Love your work!

So pretty.. I don't know what I like more: the brilliant use of black and gold and silver, or that you used the super-deep ribbed extension. The shroud looks good, I love the amber blade.. everything about this saber is awesome!