Thread: How do i build this? need help please! NOOB ALERT!

Default How do i build this? need help please! NOOB ALERT!

Hi,
    I was needing to know how to build my lightsaber electronics because I don't know what goes where?
    (even though they are all connectors and no need of soldering lol)

I have received the following parts today in the mail:

LED Module (The rebel star one that is green)

Sound Module (Nano Biscotti one)

Battery Pack (Two AA Batteries w/ speaker)

already had a buck puck

and a black switch to activate the lightsaber lights and sounds

and a thumb switch that they never gave me.
    wanted a red one too... =/

Anyways, ANY HELP is appreciated!!!!!

What am I doing wrong?

Thank You!

First off, Welcome to the Forums.

We would need to see pictures of your wiring setup (outside the hilt, of course) so we can see what exactly you have. I am going to say based on what I have read, you don't have enough power. The board needs at least 3.4V and either 4AA NiMH batteries or a 3.7V Li-ion is recommended. Also you don't need a buck puck if you have a NB sound card.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 10-18-2013 at 07:16 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    First off, Welcome to the Forums.

We would need to see pictures of your wiring setup (outside the hilt, of course) so we can see what exactly you have. I am going to say based on what I have read, you don't have enough power. The board needs at least 3.4V and either 4AA NiMH batteries or a 3.7V Li-ion is recommended. Also you don't need a buck puck if you have a NB sound card.
    Oh,
    That is extremely disappointing...=/ that was my therapy and something I have been wanting to do for a long time too.
    I waited a long time for this and I really thought I had everything I needed...
    enough with my boo hoo though...so I just need more power from the battery pack huh?
    Lithium ions like you said?

Thank You!
    Last edited by metalman; 10-18-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Wow! BRIGHT!
    I got the LED working but I can't seem to get the sound module to work?
    Thank you for the help with the led!!!!!!! niiice!

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    Wow! BRIGHT!
    I really need to see pics if you want help to get things sorted out.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Quote Originally Posted by metalman View Post
    Wow! BRIGHT!
    You can only use ONE lithium ion battery with the NB soundboard it cannot take the higher voltage of two Li-ion cells. You can still use the 2AA battery holder/speaker mount with the NB but you must use a DUMMY cell in place of one battery http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/AA...Cell-P522.aspx and that along with a single 14500 cell will allow a safe voltage for the NB board. The 3.7 volts of one 14500 may not be enough input for the buckpuck you already have however so you may need to use a resistor for the LED instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    You can only use ONE lithium ion battery with the NB soundboard it cannot take the higher voltage of two Li-ion cells. You can still use the 2AA battery holder/speaker mount with the NB but you must use a DUMMY cell in place of one battery http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/AA...Cell-P522.aspx and that along with a single 14500 cell will allow a safe voltage for the NB board. The 3.7 volts of one 14500 may not be enough input for the buckpuck you already have however so you may need to use a resistor for the LED instead.
    He was using standard AA batteries, plus if you are using a NB board, you don't need the buck puck at all. You are correct that he should put a small resistor on the green LED, end though the Vf's are close.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Wow! All Of You Are A God Send!
    Thank You So Much! =

By the way, do I have to solder the resister? (i'm thinking probably so huh.)
    You guys Rock Thanks Again!

Also,
    What kind of resistor?
    Thanks!