Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay!!! Here we go!

oh okay well I have a regular drill as well, but no drill press. Hopefully its good enough!

Awesome I'll add the tap handle to the cart too then so that I just get everything at one time.

I think I'm ready to checkout now! Thanks so much for the help!

Tons of great information here, thanks to you both! I have a question about switches for a stunt hilt. I am working on the design for an LED saber with no sound. Can I use any of the switches on the market? Standard, guarded or AV? And if I am considering using a buckpuck would I have to use a latching switch? I am just trying to make sure I am starting to understand everything, thanks Guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eshley View Post
    Tons of great information here, thanks to you both! I have a question about switches for a stunt hilt. I am working on the design for an LED saber with no sound. Can I use any of the switches on the market? Standard, guarded or AV? And if I am considering using a buckpuck would I have to use a latching switch? I am just trying to make sure I am starting to understand everything, thanks Guys!!!
    You would need a latching switch for the stunt. Other than that, any of the latching switches should work for you - as long as you have the right hole drilled for what you select.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Another thing to note: latching switches are pretty long. You may want to get a bezel for it so it doesn't bottom out on the inside of the hilt.

There are short latching AV switches as well. The old ones were all really long, but some newer ones have been added to the store that take up a lot less room.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Okay so I got the parts and did my best at putting the saber together.. The led for the switch broke cuz I suck really really bad at soldering... But I got the main led to work so I guess that was the important part!!! I can't say I'm excited to try building another saber because I spent quite a bit (relatively to my income) on that saber and it just turned out pretty bad tbh... Thanks for all the help with ordering the parts though! I wish I coulda had one of you guys over my shoulder during the process haha

I'll add pics tonight but not much to see :/
    Last edited by J-door8; 10-09-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Like everything else in life that is worth doing, it takes time, patience and practice.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Haha too true I suppose. Sucks that as soon as I finished I just wanted to gut the whole thing and start over again though... I have a question, how are you supposed to solder wires to that led switch? I had to run all the damn wire through the hole in my hilt and solder from there and it was extremely difficult

Yes it is. It all depends... based on what I remember of your project, that is what you would have to do. You would just have to leave yourself enough wire. That's where a little skill and practice is required.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines