Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nano Biscotte problem

Default Nano Biscotte problem

I'm working on a custom build using the Nano Biscotte. When I finally got everything wired up, the blade LED doesn't work, and the speaker makes only crackling noises. I have verified that the LED works using a single AA battery. I also double and triple checked my wiring and I am pretty sure I have it right (though I could be wrong). While I was examining the board, I noticed that a couple resistors appear to be crooked and the solder might be connecting them.

I have uploaded a photo of the board (higher resolution) and a diagram of how I have wired everything together.

Could someone tell me if A) the board might be defective due to the resistors and B) I have wired everything correctly?

Thanks!

-Vylar
    Last edited by Vylar; 09-22-2013 at 08:08 PM.

It's hard to read your diagram but if I am reading it correctly, it is wrong.

Pin #1 on the recharge port should have two wires in parallel...one going to the battery and one to the board +
    Pin #2 is battery negative only.
    Pin #3 is straight to board -

The LED is wired directly to the board's + and - (so you will have two wires soldered to the board +)

The - of the switch LED goes to the board ground

Also, please post a pic of the top of the board where the wires meet the traces. You seem to have a lot of solder and something may have bridged on top of everything else that was incorrectly wired.

The resistors on the board are fine.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

I updated the diagram in an attempt to make it more clear... There are two points where multiple wires are joined, which I have highlighted with blue circles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine Drathul View Post
    Pin #1 on the recharge port should have two wires in parallel...one going to the battery and one to the board +
    Pin #1 on the recharge port joins with 3 other wires, which lead to: the positive from the battery, the positive on the board, and the positive on the blade LED. This seems consistent with the Nano Biscotte manual, page 7 and 8.

Pin #2 is battery negative only.
    This is shown in the diagram. Pin #2 from the recharge port leads to the negative on the battery.

Pin #3 is straight to board -
    Pin #3 joins with the negative of the Power Indicator (PI) LED and the negative on the board. This appears consistent with the Nano Biscotte manual, pages 8 and 10.

The LED is wired directly to the board's + and - (so you will have two wires soldered to the board +)
    The positive of the blade LED joins with the other wires (mentioned above) that lead to the positive on the board. This is the same as if all of the wires were wired to the board directly. The negative on the LED leads directly to the "L-" on the board.

The - of the switch LED goes to the board ground
    This is not the case in my diagram, but I also don't think it's correct (or maybe it's a typo). The negative of the switch LED (aka the Power Indicator LED) should lead to the negative on the board. The negative of the switch itself should lead to the ground on the board, which it does.

Also, please post a pic of the top of the board where the wires meet the traces. You seem to have a lot of solder and something may have bridged on top of everything else that was incorrectly wired.
    According to what you've said, I think that my wiring is correct, there is just some misunderstanding on how to read the diagram.

I will get a photo of the other side of the board later and post it tonight.

Thanks for your response!

-Vylar

Yeah, it was hard for me to read that diagram but I thought I had it, lol. And I don't recall seeing a PLI on the diagram, just an AV switch. Hmmmm...and I have wired many NB's and never in the way that is said above.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Caine meant the top of the board. YIKES, those are not really meant to be soldered through like that. I would definitely need to see the top of the board.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

There is no reason not to solder through but they need to be soldered without bare wires showing,etc.. Please show a picture of the solder on the top of the board.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

What do you mean by the top of the board? Do you mean the image in my original post?

http://delvern.com/lightsaber/nano_biscotte_small.png
    http://delvern.com/lightsaber/nano_biscotte.png

Yes, I didn't see those originally, sorry. Well, one thing I noticed is the anti vandal switch you show in your diagram seems to be a latching switch. Is that correct? The NB only works with a momentary switch.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

No... The diagram clearly states that it is a momentary switch. The picture is nearly identical to the one on the product page:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/16...itch-P412.aspx
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/As...ges/layout.jpg