Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Light & Sound While Charging

Default Light & Sound While Charging

Hello all!

So I want to plug in my charger to my lithium ion battery and still be able to have light and sound going on my saber. What would I need to do to make this happen? Thanks!
    Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
    Hello all!

So I want to plug in my charger to my lithium ion battery and still be able to have light and sound going on my saber. What would I need to do to make this happen? Thanks!
    Ninja
    First, Welcome to the Forums. To answer your question, it doesn't work that way if you are using a recharge port. If you are not using a recharge port, just have extra charged battery packs.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    First, Welcome to the Forums. To answer your question, it doesn't work that way if you are using a recharge port. If you are not using a recharge port, just have extra charged battery packs.
    Yeah, I know it's not supposed to work that way, but what I'm wondering is how I can make it work. It's important. I'm using my laptop right now and it is plugged in and charging. So I know that somehow it can be done. I need to have answers not someone telling me it can't be done. Thank you.

Yeah, I know it's not supposed to work that way, but what I'm wondering is how I can make it work. It's important. I'm using my laptop right now and it is plugged in and charging. So I know that somehow it can be done. I need to have answers not someone telling me it can't be done. Thank you.
    Where did you see this done at to make you think it can be done? Enlighten us experienced folk, please.

Oh, and snapping at a member who is trying to help you isn't the best way to start out on a forum, especially after said member gave you a nice welcome to said forum, dude. People will be less likely to help you if you are the snippy type.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!

Well, you *can* wire up the recharge port so that it doesn't cut power to the saber while it's being charged. That doesn't mean that you *should*.

A li-ion charger won't necessarily provide the proper voltage to run the saber, but it will charge the batteries. If you wire it up so that the saber can remain on while plugged in, you run the risk of damaging your expensive electronics.

Your laptop has a lot more protection and voltage regulation circuits inside it. It was also designed to be run from either the wall, or the battery. Our sabers are not designed that way.

You could design your saber so that it runs off of a DC adapter that you plug into the wall, but getting it to run both on AND off wall power will take some significant work.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Way too complicated to get into. Especially for a beginner.

Thanks silver serpent, I will figure it out. I'm no beginner. And lighten up Caine Dathul, I don't like being told what I can't do.

Well, like Caine and others have said, a laptop is designed to work while "plugged in", lightsabers are not. You might want to heed some of Caine's advice - it might help you in the long run.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

wow man why don't you go take a night class in electronics instead of coming here and blasting people because they didn't rush right out and spoonfeed you a wiring diagram.

Thanks silver serpent, I will figure it out. I'm no beginner. And lighten up Caine Dathul, I don't like being told what I can't do.
    Wow...you sure told me, son.

LED Saber Combat Master Instructor
    Co-Founder of Caine and Novastar's Saber Combat System (NCSCS)
    Life's short...saberplay HARD!