Thread: NB/AV/Recharge Port/Tri-Rebel wiring

Question NB/AV/Recharge Port/Tri-Rebel wiring

In my new saber build, I am putting a chassis in a 7" extension. Here are the parts fitting in the chassis:

Recharge Port
    NB
    18650 li-ion battery
    2w Bass speaker

I am going to attempt to use the Tri-Rebel GGW and use the 2 greens for my LED.

Here is my wiring diagram:

The only things I do not have marked on this is:

Wiring for the LED within the Short green ring momentary AV switch, and the resistors for Tri-Rebel.

Please critique and let me know what I should do differently, or feel free to edit and supply me with a new diagram.

Note* I haven't been able to find through searching a wiring diagram like what I am doing. So if you know a post, link me.

Thanks

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.

Well, I can't really edit your diagram, but here are the changes that you need to make...

1. Remove black line going from battery to board. That should only go to recharge port.
    2. The LED (+) for your AV should be wired to the 3.3v Pad on the board. See manual for location.
    3. The LED (-) for your AV should be wired to the battery (-).

The AV LED should only need a minimal resistor, something like 1 ohm, 1/4 W would be fine.
    Since you aren't friends with my good friend "Ohm's Law", Silver Serpent has a link to a decent resistor calculator in his signature, that you could use. It's pretty good.

Other than those changes, it looks good. Please make them and repost, and one of us will review to make sure you've got it all.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Following what you said, here is my updated diagram:

Please critique

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks better. Personally, I would move the AV LED negative from the battery to the green line on the recharge port (or pad 3 on the NB). That way you can completely cut power when the kill key is inserted. Otherwise, that LED will remain on at all times and drain your battery.

Li-Ion Battery @ 3.7v
    Rebel Green 3.4v @ 1000mA
    Green Illuminated AV Switch 3.3v @ 20mA

You'll want two 1 ohm 2 watt resistors (one for each Rebel die) and a 22 ohm 1/4 watt resistor for your switch LED. The main LED resistors aren't strictly necessary, but I include them as a safety measure.
    Last edited by Silver Serpent; 09-04-2013 at 06:36 AM.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thank you, SS. Always very helpful. Here is the finished/updated diagram:

If I do not use resistors on the main LEDs will they burn out? will they burn brighter?

You'd need a light meter to detect any difference in brightness. As I have been led to understand by erv, the resistors are there to limit the risk of thermal runaway. You could potentially run the saber without them, and never experience any problems. Or you could have one or both of the LEDs unexpectedly burn out. Think of the resistor as insurance against potential issues.

I don't see 22 ohm resistors in the store, however the 20mA DynaOhm resistor is perfect for this purpose. If you don't have any of 22 ohm resistors lying around, then I'd use the DynaOhm.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!