Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Spain, another newbie to the scene.

Default Hello from Spain, another newbie to the scene.

Hello, i'm a new user from Spain.

I really wanted to have a lightsaber since I was a child, but alwais I looked for there were so expensive. recently a friend told us he is going to marry so we thought it would be great to do him the hallway with lightsabers (we are a little bit freaks), So thought an afordable way to do could be using led flashlights with a color disc and some kind of tube.
    That's how I get to TCSS, looking for transparent tube and I was annoyed that I REALLY can do a real lightsaber with not so much money as in the past!

So I startad from here reading reading and reading a lot. So please don't tell me "you have to read read and read"... I did!

My biggest problem is that I need to do 6 sabers at a very reasonable cost, my intention is to keep each one UNDER 25 € (around 33 $), so ordering from TCSS was not an option as USPS shipping is more or less 48 $, so that's more or less 25% of each saber's budget! (for sure in the future I WILL order pieces for one more saber for me).

So my search was were to find optional materials in Europe at reasoanble shipping cost. It was a hard job that took me more or less one month. Now I have the setup clear and I'm starting to assemble them, except that I need to change the wire I used as it's too big (ahm a little bit mistake choosing it) so it's so dificult to handle.

My setup is as following:

- PVC HILT 32mm (about 1,25 inch) (I worked as plumberer so this part was easy)
    - HUEY 5W LED (1500 mah, 4,5v, 3x120 lumens blue + 3x160 lumens green)
    - 3xAAA ALKALINES (4,5 V, yeah I know they can only suppor my sabers for about 40 minutes, I'll look forr another solution in the next ones)
    - NO RESISTOR (as formula told R = (Vdd-Vf)/if so R = (4,5-4,5)/1500 = 0 ohms )
    - POLICARBONATE TUBE 25mm (about 1 inch) (that was REALLY difficult to find in Europe)
    - CELLOPHANE DIFFUSOR (wow I readed a lot and searched lot of materials, but this is easy, cheap and works great man!)
    - 1 NANO BISCOTE (that was a whim, I'm still waiting for it from plecter labs)
    - 1 SPEAKER (I removed it from a toy...)

So that's all, I think only left is to show you some pictures. As the sabers are NOT finished yet (neither painting job) there are some things that are not final ones. Tube in the advanced picture is 20mm (about 0,78 inch) and hasn't the cellophane diffusor yet.

Oh one last thing, please forgive my english, it's not the best at all.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arsies; 08-27-2013 at 06:59 AM.

I think you did an awesome job with that PVC, my friend. Very resourceful finding all those parts in Europe. Make sure to post pics at the wedding.

Also, your english is fine.

Welcome to the Forums! You have done a great job with the PVC sabers so far!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

thank you, hope to show them finished soon!

[Spanish mode ON]
    ¡Ey, qué tal! Me alegra ver a un paisano por aquí... Muy buen trabajo con el PVC, normalmente todo el mundo empieza por ahí hasta que se mete de cabeza en el hobby. Sobre lo del policarbonato, te comprendo perfectamente, en Europa es como si no existiera. ¡Nos vemos por aquí!
    [Spanish mode OFF]

Hey there! Nice to see a compatriot around here... Nice job with the PVC, normally everyone starts there until they get head first into the hobby. About the policarbonate, I really understand you, it´s like it doesn´t exist in Europe... See you around here!

Very nice job, And welcome.
    Looking forward to seeing the wedding pictures. I'm thinking of possibly, maybe, might or might not, doing this for a friends high school graduation.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!

0.o those sabers look amazing. Very well done.
    Questions lead to answers.
    Answers lead to knowledge.
    Knowledge is power, ULTIMATE POWER!!!

Hi again.

I've the first 4 completed (well almost, I need to buy more cellophane...) 2 green 2 blue. It's weird that even with 40 lumens less I think blue is brighter than green.

I want to use airbrush to add a little bit wheatering to those sabers, but I haven't enought time yet.

Vazan Maceu:
    Yeah finding materials here it's very difficult. I found policarbonate tubes in cataluña (lumetalplastic it's cheaper but they have a big minimum order & industriadelagoma it's more expensive but without minimum order and with a really great personal attention) at between 15 to 25 € (20 to 32$) 2 meters. I'll order some of them, by now i'm using acrilic tubes.

And now some pics. The blue one with blade has a nano biscotte working fine

Well little bit wheatering work. I'm quite happy with this paintingwork, but It's little bit darker than i wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsies View Post
    Well little bit wheatering work. I'm quite happy with this paintingwork, but It's little bit darker than i wanted.

Fantastic paint job!!