Thread: First Saber Questions

Default First Saber Questions

Hey guys,

Trying to make my first saber this summer. I have a general idea for it, just a feeew questions.

First:
    The saber I have decided to make in the Saber Builder is 14.56 inches long, is that too long for a hilt of a saber?

Second:
    Is the slotted extension really good for making a crystal chamber?

Third:
    Where can I find leather strips to wrap the lower half of a handle?

Thanks All,

DarthMantha

SaberBuilder_render.jpg

This is my plan so far.

1. Depends on the size of your hands and how you intend to hold the saber. It's probably too long for a one-handed grip. I personally try to keep my sabers around 12" or so, but there's no reason you couldn't make a longer one.

2. Yes.

3. I'm not sure, I've never done leatherworking. Google should be able to find something.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

A quick search on Amazon for "leather strips" revealed multiple color choices in anything from as thin as shoelaces, up to 1" thick. It even showed me a few square/rectangle samples
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a blaster by your side.

Also check out your local arts&crafts store. They usually (in my experience anyway) stock leather strips, squares, etc.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

My advise if you are putting a crystal on the emitter side of the choke, be sure to get the low profile heatsink for your main led, otherwise the heatsink and wiring will extend into the area where the slots are in your design.

This is a good place to look for leather. I worked at one of their stores decades ago.
    www.tandyleatherfactory.com
    there is a book available that shows how to do multiple strand braiding. If you go with leather I would suggest thin leather otherwise you might bulk up your grip a lot. Two very strong leathers that are used for lacing are goat and kangaroo. Another material to consider, if you want a rustic look, is rawhide. Rawhide will make a very solid grip because you wrap it while its wet and as it dries it shrinks up and gets very tight. I made a sword grip with it and it has lasted for 30 years.