Thread: Securing MHS parts together question

Default Securing MHS parts together question

I have some MHS parts that I cannot get to remain tight when screw together. A minimal amount of CCW force will start them to unscrew.

I am considering using 4-40 set screws however that means drilling holes VERY close to the edge the female section to set into the clear un-threaded gap of the male section. This also means drilling through threads which has been generally suggested against.

I was wondering.....

a) Is the set screw approach okay? If so caveats / tips please.

b) What techniques have others used to secure the MHS parts together.

Thanks!

Denz

Get some teflon tape from the plumbing section of your local hardware store. Apply to the threads and they should no longer unscrew on their own. That's what I do, and it works great.

The BLUE Loctite threadlocker can work as well, but it's much more difficult to break loose if you ever need to do repairs on the saber. RED Loctite threadlocker is permanent. Don't use it.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Check the area for hot water heaters in your hardware store. I had to replace the hoses to mine, and there is some yellow tape that you wrap the threads with to seal them. It really tightens them up, making it harder to loosen. You can wrap it with multiple layers for a tighter fit.

Perfect! I should have thought of using pipe thread tape as I have done my share of home repairs using that stuff.

I'll give that a try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denz View Post
    Perfect! I should have thought of using pipe thread tape as I have done my share of home repairs using that stuff.

I'll give that a try.

Thanks
    Use it sparingly.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com