Thread: Ways to test wiring

Question Ways to test wiring

I am currently rewiring my first saber to install flash on clash. I tried this when I first wired it up, but got frustrated and ended up not adding it. I have a bit more time on my hands, and I have decided to attempt wiring it up again. However, I want to make sure that I can test the functionality of it first. I'm worried the PEX may be bad.

What ways do you usually use to test your wiring? Any tips would be great. Thanks!
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

I usually check the wiring with my multimeter. Once everything is hooked together, I do a test run with all the components outside the hilt. Give the PC a little thump to test clash and swing sounds.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

I use JST's for everything. Once I wire everything up, I connect everything outside ouf the hilt and make sure it all works. Once all the components are in the saber, test again. Seal up the saber with everything inside, test one last time. If something is screwed up, the JST's make it real easy to disconnect the parts that are wired well so they don't get in the way when fixing the rest.

It's a long process but I like to cover all my bases.

^^
    I to am a big fan of JST's. It might make the cramming a little more difficult, but it makes it much easier to change out components (i.e., LED, switch, speaker) And this, in turn, makes it easier to test individual parts in order to isolate where a problem may be.
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!

I always test my stuff outside the hilt as well. I use various connectors to assemble, disassemble stuff.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com