Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bone Sleeves

Default Bone Sleeves

I have searched around on this forum and others...but I was looking for a "how-to" on making "bone" sleeves for MHS lightsabers. I am in the planning stages for a saber that will used a bone shroud, so I wanted to make sure I could get it to work / pull it off before I became too invested in a pipe dream, no pun intended.

I thought I would share my experience prototyping a bone emitter shroud out of a PVC pipe. Basically, I took a PVC pipe (I used some leftover 1 1/4" pipe) and went to town with a Dremel and a sanding drum. The effect was essentially sculpting the PVC into the shape I was imagining...I was going for a vertebrae feel, hence the ridge effect. I also made sure that there was no smooth portion left and then worked my way around the emitter in one direction, then the opposite direction to give it a sort of weaved looked. Then I rounded off and gouged up the edges so it would look like a little more organic and chipped/battle damaged.

Weathering the piece was accomplished by brushing on some light brown accents around the ridges and in the gouges, then I sprayed a relatively thin coat of flat white (just enough to "wash out" the light brown) over the whole thing, then I dry brushed a mix of yellow, brown, and white to age the bone and bring out the surface details. The inside of the emitter is a flat grey that I brushed in then wiped it away as it was still drying to give it a streaked burnt look...then I took a lighter to the edge to burn it and give it a carbon scored finish. Initially I was afraid that I was going to melt the plastic, but then I rationalized that an actual lightsaber blade could cut bone rather efficiently, so a little burning and maybe a little melting would just add to the effect. One other note, when I was cutting out the shroud I wasn't too worried about making it perfectly uniform. I figured the more irregular it looked the more realistic it would look.

Enjoy some pics!

Bone Emitter-6 by scott34567, on Flickr

Bone Emitter-5 by scott34567, on Flickr

Bone Emitter-3 by scott34567, on Flickr

Bone Emitter-1 by scott34567, on Flickr

That looks really good!
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

Amazing job. Ya its hard to find the secrets to this type of saber peace. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    "A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
    "Choose what is right, not what is easy"

Second attempt, this time with some carving.

Untitled by scott34567, on Flickr

Holy crap that looks great! I thought it was real bone when I saw that first picture.

Very impressive. Can't wait to see more.

Your hand appears to be far steadier than mine.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    Very impressive. Can't wait to see more.

Your hand appears to be far steadier than mine.
    i agree with SS, that is impressive! Good work!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

So far I am happy with the PVC, but it doesn't come without a few drawbacks. The schedule 40 pipe is thick, and it isn't a perfect match to MHS parts. Though, I have a few more mediums to try out (polymer clay, and some sculpting compounds) which will probably yield better results. I will let you guys know what I come up with!

The 1.5" PVC pipe fits perfectly over 1.5" sinktube, which in turn fits perfectly over MHS parts. You could use sinktube either as a spacer, or for a multilayered effect.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Thanks for the tip!!