View Poll Results: Ok to use said design solely for me?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, as long as it's only for you.

9 81.82%
  • No, only use your own designs.

2 18.18%

Thread: First TCSS saber

Default First TCSS saber

Hey guys. I've been popping in and out of here for a while now, but after playing with the MHS builder for a while, I found the perfect saber design! Now the main reason I'm posting is because not long after make these two, SaberBuilder_render.jpg I found this saber. 6.jpg

I've always wanted everything that that saber has, and it's absolutely perfect for me! Only problem? I'm an artist myself and I know how it feels if someone copies my work. What's your guys opinions on this matter? The only reason I'm not buying from him directly is because I can't afford a $1500 lightsaber, otherwise I would commission him.

This is also my first saber build, (I already own a couple of other custom sabers from another sight) and I know how complicated this build would be. I'm not entirely sure if I have the necessary drilling tools to build it or not. I'd send you guys the youtube link, but I know forums like these frown on advertising others work, so I'm leaving him anonymous.

The main reasons for choosing this build is because a crystal chamber is a must for me, as well as sound, flash on clash, and the ability to change blade colors.

Be aware that unless you already have all the tools you will need, you can easily spend over $1500 making that perfect saber. Please don't ask me how I know. But now I have the tools I need (mostly).

If I love another sabersmith's design, and I want to make one very similar, I usually just drop them a note. Most of us are very understanding about such things, and usually take it as a compliment.

A side effect of speaking with someone who has built a very similar saber: they may give you insight into issues they had with space, placement of parts, etc.

Building your own saber is a ton of fun, and I'd recommend it to any saber enthusiast, even if they can afford to commission one. So don't fret about that. You can get by with a mere handful of tools: dremel, drill, soldering iron, assorted files and hand tools, and add more as you need them.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Yeah, since I know the maker of that saber. He would not appreciate you making an exact copy of it. Plus are you use to working with CF's? Because that what was used in that saber and what you would need - and it will get expensive. Plus if this is your first build you should start off a bit smaller / less complicated.

As for your question...

Please consider this advice to be MORE than just an opinion... your best bet is to explain your situation, ask permission from him and see what he says. IF it's for you, and it won't be sold and you give credit where it is due, it shouldn't be a big issue (as long as you make some little changes here and there). That is the accepted thing to do in this community. Failure to do the above would be a very, VERY bad thing.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

i was actually similarly inspired awhile ago by madcow's corran horn. I asked him and he was very gracious about it. gave me the ok... That being said you will be surprised at how different yours may turn out. I know i wanted one just like i but Through various tweaks here and there it really only has hints of the corran horn. but yeah like SS said just ask him.
    Olc-Pa Mabec

The MHS system has a limited (although admittedly large) number of combinations. It's not unreasonable to think that two people would come up with similar ideas.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    Plus are you use to working with CF's? Because that what was used in that saber and what you would need

Please consider this advice to be MORE than just an opinion... your best bet is to explain your situation, ask permission from him and see what he says. IF it's for you, and it won't be sold and you give credit where it is due, it shouldn't be a big issue. That is the accepted thing to do in this community. Failure to do the above would be a very, VERY bad thing.
    I have the basic soldering skills, but this is my actual first electronics build in general. And yes, it is solely for me. It's against my morals to take credit for someone else's work as it's a pet peeve of mine.
    Being closed minded is like a windmill without wind.
    Without the flow of criticism, your mill of creativity will never spin!

~Aaron Stevens