Thread: My first sabers

Default My first sabers

Here's my first from-scratch - Seoul P4 green LED, PVC hilt, Hasbro econo soundboard:

2013-02-24 19.59.28.jpg2013-02-24 20.00.26.jpg

It slides apart to reveal what I hope to make be a crystal chamber, but don't have that part done yet.

I've also converted a Hasbro FX Vader, but I'm sure you all know what that looks like!
    Last edited by efindel; 02-24-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: more information

This saber looks very nice. Your use of the PVC and metal combined are a nice touch.

The crystal chamber will be a fun thing to build next. Are you thinking real (like quartz) or artifical crystal?

Nicely done and congrats on your first build! Looking forward to seeing how that crystal chamber turns out - that is definitely one big undertaking.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Thanks, all! It took a couple of weeks, but here's the finished product, with crystal chamber open!
    2013-03-03 18.42.41.jpg

There's not really that much to the chamber... a piece sliced off the Hasbro blade that came with my Vader saber, a "crystal" that's green beach glass from Michael's, a green LED from Radio Shack tied in to the same lines that are powering the main LED, and an 87-ohm resistor to keep that from nuking the power little low-power LED.

Helping a couple of friends make sabers as well - one's making hers from PVC as well, the other's going to be ordering parts from here to make a metal one. And now my daughter wants one as well!

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog1 View Post
    This saber looks very nice. Your use of the PVC and metal combined are a nice touch.
    Thanks! Wire-wrapping it like that took a couple of hours, but I think it was worth it - really makes it look like someone's real weapon. (I was going to do paracord wrapping originally, but then spotted the wire while I was looking for the crystal, and decided to go with that instead....

The crystal chamber will be a fun thing to build next. Are you thinking real (like quartz) or artifical crystal?
    It's "beach glass" from Michael's, which I assume is quartz. Got a nice bag of it for about $5, then picked out the piece that looked best to me.

So that 'brushed' looking area is really wire wrapping? I can see why it took so long. It is a nice way to bring a different metal finish to to hilt.

That's a nice hardware job there sir!!

Thanks to you both! And yep, the brushed-looking area is the wire-wrapped part. 1-inch PVC pipe, with that section wire-wrapped. Emitter and lower part are PVC sink tube, and the pommel is a sprinkler head from a pop-up lawn sprinkler. Blade retention screw is a gold-anodized Covertec thumbscrew from here. Which reminds me - just got my belt clip today! Need to go try it out!