Thread: Yoshi-Taka's "Luna v1"

Default Yoshi-Taka's "Luna v1"

"From this moment forth, the night will last forever!"

The latest and penultimate in my Bronysaber series. This is Luna [version 1]. Inspired by, and named after, the character of the same name from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. [Princess] Luna is designed to look similar to horn, while being sleek and power. It matches the royal mare's coat and mane with the blade, and the raw 'magical' power of a Sith-y soundfont, Luna v1 is a saber I'm very proud to own.

It's my believe that as the Jedi grow in the Star Wars series, so too must we as sabersmiths. Luna reflects this as well. As a character who's developed very dramatically over the course of a thousand years, the lightsaber she wields shall evolve as well. It's starting as a Nano Biscotte saber, but will develop into a Petit Crouton saber, and later (and ultimately) a Crystal Focus saber. For now, we have the Nano Biscotte version of Luna and I think I captured her spirit very well. So enough jibber-jabber (I do that in the video too. Sorry. I like to babble. It makes me feel important.)

SPECS
    -All MHS parts
    -Nano Biscotte v1.0
    --Madcow's "Vader OT" soundfont with custom Yoshi boot sound
    -Luxeon Rebel Star (Royal Blue. COME ON, IT'S FITTING!)
    -18650 3.7v 2600mAh li-ion battery
    -In-hilt recharge port
    -1.5w TCSS premium speaker
    -Momentary antivantal switch (with blue-ring accent led. Full moon lightsaber)
    -Covertec wheel (on the emitter for convenience)
    -tiny-ass 8-32 set screw

PICTURES AND THE VIDEO IN WHICH I BABBLE FOR 5 MINUTES (I'm not sorry)

And of course as always, my inspiration:

(Finding a reasonable-sized image of her is impossible.)

Glad you used that box #9. I just ordered one and its nice to see how it looks in full view on a saber.

I've used box 9 before. I love it, though I prefer the square-style boxes more. It works well for this style of saber.

Nicely done as always Yoshi! I think the ribbed extensions and slanted emitter lends itself well to the unicorn look. Great choice going with the Royal Blue - not only royal but matches the character's mane perfectly.
    I kind of wonder how this saber would look in black chrome pc (or a dark transparent color) - seems like a good match for her coat.
    I definitely hear ya on the those tiny 8-32 set screws - i've nearly lost mine a half dozen times.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

It's a fine design for a 2-handed saber. I think a little color would really make your saber "pop". Possibly use some of the colors from the pony that inspired the saber.

And don't forget to put a "cutie mark" on it somewhere.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Quote Originally Posted by Starwinder View Post
    Nicely done as always Yoshi! I think the ribbed extensions and slanted emitter lends itself well to the unicorn look. Great choice going with the Royal Blue - not only royal but matches the character's mane perfectly.
    I kind of wonder how this saber would look in black chrome pc (or a dark transparent color) - seems like a good match for her coat.
    I definitely hear ya on the those tiny 8-32 set screws - i've nearly lost mine a half dozen times.
    Thank you! I expected the royal blue to be a bit darker but I like it how it is. I was thinking powder coating would be nice for this one, but I'll probably save it for versions 2 and 3. Black would look nice around that "full moon" switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Serpent View Post
    It's a fine design for a 2-handed saber. I think a little color would really make your saber "pop". Possibly use some of the colors from the pony that inspired the saber.

And don't forget to put a "cutie mark" on it somewhere.
    I know version 3 (the Crystal Focus version of Luna) will be heavily powder coated, most likely in all or almost-all black. Having accent LEDs for "stars" would really make her stand out. And of course, Luna's cutie mark will be on version 3 as well. The whole scheme of the three sabers is to make them more and more progressively personal toward Luna. I just need to come up with workable designs for the later versions..

Late as I am, this one is...I'm not sure how I feel about her. I've got little girly hands, so I kinda prefer my sabers on the shorter side, but I get the beauty of this one. Would not have expected this emitter to work so well, but it does, and I love the fact that you're putting your covertech wheels up high on the sabers.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

I prefer shorter sabers as well; Luna's design is mostly for the sake of display rather than function. She's a beautiful saber but not as comfortable as smoother designs (the ribs can really wear down my hands after a while and spinning can hurt after a while). The covertec, on the other hand, is functionality. One of the reasons I never really liked them is because they often got in the way of my grip or couldn't be placed in such a way that the saber wouldn't be jabbing my gut. Putting them on the emitter covers both of those functions at the same time, which is awesome for me.

I, too, was surprised by the emitter. I always hated it in the MHS builder but it works surprisingly well in this build. Makes me all the more excited to design version 3 (I have version 2 planned already).