Thread: Malakus, A KotOR Inspired saber by LDM

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Arrow Malakus, A KotOR Inspired saber by LDM

Malakus

This is a scratch built (100% machined by me) saber that was inspired by Darth Malak's Lightsaber from Knights of the Old Republic. I love that design and wanted to create my own "spin" on it. I made it as something I will like, so I went with Bronzium weathering TM and a Cyan blade (of the BIN 3 Variety). I also used one of my custom 12mm/16mm AV switch boxes with green ring AV's in it. The thing that finally made this project come together for me was the new copper leather that I got for my grip wraps. It is also featuring LordBalko's Adegan Dual Core font, which just seems to fit the Chi of this design to me. This sucker is super loud and scorchingly bright. Enjoy.

Particulars:

Scratch-Machined Malakus hilt
    PCv2 with PEx2.0 Featuring LordBalko's Adegan Dual Core Font
    CCW Tri-Rebel in custom Optics module(CC blade & W FoC TM)
    Bronzium Weathering TM
    Copper Vein Powder and Triple-Baked Enamel TM
    7.4V Li-Ion w/Re-charge/Kill in Pommel
    1.5W Speaker
    Teal Crystal Pommel TM
    16mm Green Ring AV Main Switch
    12mm Green Ring AV Aux Switch
    Custom Box
    Copper Leather-Wrap Grip

The BMT:

The Glams:

FoCTM & Detail:

All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Beautiful saber, once again. My giddy-happy appreciation moment is the weathering, in the wonderful juxtaposition of the non-worn powder coated pieces (which I see as replaced elements) that don't look like replaced, newer parts over an old, used hilt... but the switches have wear and tear on them... giggidy! Somehow I think that sentence may not make sense... going with it anyway. And the leather is luscious, once again new but not. Bravo, Master.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Diggin' the flow of this one and love the bronzium and copper leather together. The sound is incredible! Never been a fan of light up pommels but that's what saber building is about, it has to trip your trigger not mine.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Wow, nice. I love the weathering on it.
    And the color scheme works out well with the Leather Grip/copper vein
    ~ The Yin ~

“Yeah I’m pack’n heat! It’s to prevent anyone from making me cold.”

For the saber building Younglings and Padawans: Basic Saber Building and The Saber Building Dictionary!

Awesome as always! I've been wanting to see someone put together a Malak-inspired saber. This definitely fits the bill. That bronzonium weathering looks great - kind of gives it a refined antique look.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Boj-Vaati Mau View Post
    Diggin' the flow of this one and love the bronzium and copper leather together. The sound is incredible! Never been a fan of light up pommels but that's what saber building is about, it has to trip your trigger not mine.
    LOL, since I invented the Crystal Pommel I do indeed kinda like it You are completely correct about the fluidity of art-in-design and how personal preference colors all of our decisions. Thanks man!

@amwolf- LOL, it does indeed make sense and is exactly what I was going for! Thank you!

@Starwinder- That is a great description..."Refined Antique"
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams

Blog Entries

I'm a total sucker for Old Republic designs... they are my favorite, and I'm in love with that era. This saber is great!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien Kane View Post
    I'm a total sucker for Old Republic designs... they are my favorite, and I'm in love with that era. This saber is great!
    Thanks man!

Love the saber! Where did you get the copper leather?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by sharppunk View Post
    Love the saber! Where did you get the copper leather?
    I got it at a local "mom & pop" fabric shop. I bought every bit of it that they had If you are seriously Jonesing for some, shoot me a PM.