Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starwinder's 2nd saber - Penitence

Default Starwinder's 2nd saber - Penitence

Here is my second MHS saber, “Penitence.” Designed to be practical (i.e. simple) and efficient, this saber was intended for the use of strength- and power-based moves of Djem So style (i.e. a lot of bashing), so I really wanted the hilt to have a sturdy, powerful look to it and somewhat resemble a broadsword. Plus, I really wanted an excuse to incorporate the awesome Blade Holder 24!

The wrapping is actually just tennis racquet overgrip. The tread pattern may make it look a little tacky (literally ), but I like that it gives it a design. Functionally, the overgrip works great too – gives it just enough tack without being “sticky,” so it definitely won’t be slipping out of the hands during a duel. I used some of the excess material around the recessed areas of the blade holder to even out the black/metal look. And the tassels on the D-ring used to be attached to the zippers on my leather jacket before I cut them off (not sure why I kept them around but at least I put them to some use )

For sound, this saber is using a spare Neutrino board I had lying around (and I’m glad to be using this up so I can try out the Nano Biscotte next time!). The green illuminated AV switch is wired so that the LED comes on with the main Rebel Cyan LED. My camera doesn't capture the color very well, but that cyan is such a great icy-blue/mint-green color; I'm really glad I took the chance to try it out.

Specs:
    - Rebel Star Cyan LED
    - Novasound Neutrino 1.0 sound board
    - Short momentary green ring AV switch
    - 4.8V battery solution (4aaa NiMH)
    - TCSS premium speaker (1.5w)
    - Activation box 10
    - ¾” D-ring in pommel insert 6
    - Trim Ring 1
    - Intimidating BH 24
    - Overgrip wrapping on 7” extension and BH
    - 12” long

As you can see, my camera keeps 'changing' the color of the cyan...

Thanks for lookin!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

That is a great lookin saber ma'man! That grip is sick as a mo'fo!!

Looks really great. Nice and solid looking with a certain degree of aggression to it. It very much succeeds in calling up design elements from the old European war swords while keeping within the "look" of the Star Wars design language. Very nice and definitely inspires me to get to work on the saber I have sitting in pieces with the BH 24 (I just have to re-solder a couple of wires on the last saber I posted). It makes a great design element to break up the tube silhouette. Great work!

Johannes

Nice work, love that blade holder and adding the little strips in the recessed areas was a pretty cool idea. Also really like the tassels on the D-ring, I'm a sucker for that kinda thing. Any plans for weathering it? I think some light weathering up by the blade holder, and maybe by the switch box would look pretty tough.

Great job! I really like how that tennis grip looks.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

nice Saber well done. that blade holder is my favorite.
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

Thanks for the kind compliments guys! Really appreciate the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    That is a great lookin saber ma'man! That grip is sick as a mo'fo!!
    haha that is the best endorsement for the grip ever! thanks Ripper!

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes Huber View Post
    Looks really great. Nice and solid looking with a certain degree of aggression to it. It very much succeeds in calling up design elements from the old European war swords while keeping within the "look" of the Star Wars design language. Very nice and definitely inspires me to get to work on the saber I have sitting in pieces with the BH 24 (I just have to re-solder a couple of wires on the last saber I posted). It makes a great design element to break up the tube silhouette. Great work!

Johannes
    That means a lot Johannes - definitely the kind of look i was going for. Looking forward to seeing that future build - BH24 sure is sweeeet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbas_reluctant_slave View Post
    Nice work, love that blade holder and adding the little strips in the recessed areas was a pretty cool idea. Also really like the tassels on the D-ring, I'm a sucker for that kinda thing. Any plans for weathering it? I think some light weathering up by the blade holder, and maybe by the switch box would look pretty tough.
    Yeah, that's a good thought JRS. I was actually wondering myself about weathering it ... guess i just have to work up the nerve to to push ahead and do it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyaryo Ysoyav View Post
    Great job! I really like how that tennis grip looks.
    Thanks! I'm a little surprised it worked out as well as it did. Amazing how those extra materials can add so much to a saber build.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
    nice Saber well done. that blade holder is my favorite.
    It's an awesome blade holder, no doubt. Once i saw it in action on your killer Opus, i knew i had to try it out! So thanks for the inspiration madmaxx
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Very nice job, I'm really digging your design and that grip definitel make me wanna hold it ^^
    Clicky Sig =>

Nice saber, it does indeed look like a powerful saber. The gripping is also a very nice touch!
    "A foolish man fights a fight he'll lose, and lose foolishly".

Awesome looking saber! Good use of the grips. Is it weird that I like that the switch and the blade holder screw don't like up? Also dig the trim ring. Been trying to find a good way to utilize them in a future build.

Wise words do not distinguish a Consular, but the choices they make.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack.