Thread: Yoshi-Taka's "Lyra"

Default Yoshi-Taka's "Lyra"

The third in what I'm dubbing my "Bronysaber" series, this is Lyra. Based the pony of the same name, Lyra Heartstrings, this saber takes design and style cues based on her. I previously made a "unicorn horn" lightsaber, so I didn't wanna repeat myself for another unicorn-based lightsaber. This saber is very heavily inspired by the famous Luke Skywalker saber.

This is not only my most complicated saber in terms of design, and my first to use an accent LED. Yeah, I'm straying away from my "simple and practical" design mantra. Although this is pretty simple when you look at it.. the accent led is just nice. I wanted to give it a try and see how I like it; since the NBv1 has a 3.3v pad for accent leds, I couldn't resist. But I digress. One of the fun features of this saber is the holed emitter, in that it's a very underused one (seriously, why? It's a cool emitter!) and it can very faithfully emulate the glow of a unicorn's magic aura. Since it's a unicorn horn lightsaber, it only makes sense to have it glow outside of just the blade, no?

But enough gabbing about the little details. Time for the details and the pictures! And there's quite a few pictures, as well as a video!

SPECS
    • All MHS parts
    • Nano Biscotte V1.0 (Darkmeat + custom "Yoshi" boot)
    • Seoul P4 (green)
    • Single cell 18650, 3.7V, 2600mAh
    • Recharge port + kill key
    • Accent LED (green)
    • 2W bass speaker
    • Momentary antivandal switch

THE VIDEO
    I apologize for the poor angle. I still don't have a dedicated space for video, since I share a workspace with my dad in the garage. But it still covers everything and features the other half of the pair, Bon Bon.

THE PICTURES

And the pony that inspired the entire project.

Thanks for reading and watching and everything! I love this hobby and being able to make fun sabers like this.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Clean work. Good job.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Thank you! That means a lot to me coming from you.

I may not be a Brony, but i love what you're doing with these series of sabers, Yoshi! I dig your simple, clean, and sleek designs. It's nice to see BH 11 in action on this saber too.
    p.s. i had to smile when i heard your custom boot sounds. Nicely done!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Thank you! It wouldn't be a Yoshi-Taka saber if it weren't simple and sleek.. and MHS-based. I can't believe that emitter is so underused! It stunned me when I first tested it.
    And thank you again. The Yoshi sound (from Super Mario World) was a pain in the butt to get but well worth it.

Oh, Yoshi, she's pretty. She and Bon Bon go very well together.

I like that you're getting away from your hard and fast "simpler is better" rule. I love love love your simple sabers, but you're stretching your talents, and that is always a good thing. Also, perhaps my favorite part of this whole build, is you saying "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." as nonchalantly as it's possible to say those words.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm very flattered, truly. I'm trying my best to grow more and more in this hobby. Hell, if I had the money, I would have bought an Igniter to put a million accent leds in a saber. But I digress. THe nonchalance was me making things up on the spot; I don't write out what I'm gonna say, I just babble. But I'm a gray Jedi so the statement works just as well.

My next saber is gonna have a shroud.

Can't wait, Yoshi.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.