Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lessons in Cram-Fu...?

Default Lessons in Cram-Fu...?

Good Afternoon, sabersmiths and wire-masters.

Are there any threads out there for tips in "Cram-Fu: the Art of Putting All THIS in HERE".

Ways to wire up switches, battery packs, buckpucks, and blade LEDs to get them to all fit in small sabers.

I've got a saber-hilt I'm trying to get an illuminated AV switch and an accent LED in the pommel (to light up a double-saber-vented-coupler mounted crystal) into a short 9" saber hilt that has a 2 AA-sized Li-Ion pack and a buckpuck already crammed into it. I'm having problems figuring out how it's all gonna fit in there.
    Phil Maiewski, Alderaan Base Executive Officer
    Maynard, MA
    Costumes:Clone Commander Fil in the Rebel Legion
    CC/CT/TB-4043 in the 501st Legion
    Check out Fragments from the Rim: a Star Wars Gaming and Costuming blog

Quote Originally Posted by DarthGM View Post
    Good Afternoon, sabersmiths and wire-masters.

Are there any threads out there for tips in "Cram-Fu: the Art of Putting All THIS in HERE".

Ways to wire up switches, battery packs, buckpucks, and blade LEDs to get them to all fit in small sabers.

I've got a saber-hilt I'm trying to get an illuminated AV switch and an accent LED in the pommel (to light up a double-saber-vented-coupler mounted crystal) into a short 9" saber hilt that has a 2 AA-sized Li-Ion pack and a buckpuck already crammed into it. I'm having problems figuring out how it's all gonna fit in there.
    We would need to see this saber, either a MHS picture or a picture of the real thing.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    We would need to see this saber, either a MHS picture or a picture of the real thing.
    Let's try this...

Best I have for now, I can take more pictures later and post them up. I think the big problem will be the indented sections and the smaller diameter in those areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DarthGM; 12-19-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Maynard, MA

Why are you putting an illuminated switch in the pommel? Do you have a crystal assembly in the pommel now?

Cram-Fu tends to be a trail and error thing. It takes some a long time to master it.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Why are you putting an illuminated switch in the pommel? Do you have a crystal assembly in the pommel now?

Cram-Fu tends to be a trail and error thing. It takes some a long time to master it.
    My apologies for not being clear; I'm replacing the current switch with an AV switch. I'm ALSO adding a 5mm yellow LED to the pommel with one of the pommel disks to illuminate a crystal that I'm going to mount in the center of that black vented coupler in the middle of picture 1.

I figured Cram-fu was trial and error; just wasn't sure if anyone has documented their experiences or if they've shared any specific tips, like how they sodder together the wires while components are threaded through switch-holes and the like so they use the least amount of wire as possible.
    Last edited by DarthGM; 12-19-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Maynard, MA

OK, that makes more sense.

To answer your question Cram-Fu has a related skill called Plan-Fu. You run your wires and then adjust them as you go along - making them slightly shorter when you can.

Most don't document their wiring at length though if you look through some of Jay-Gon Jinn's work, he had done some videos in some of his build logs. In your case. I will tell you this...

AV switches are soldered and then installed. You can run the wires though the hilt, through the nut, up the hole, solder your connections and then install the switch. As for your Pommel LED, how you plan on mounting it will help determine how you handle mounting and placing the LED.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

that saber looks very ultasaberish.....
    "A foolish man fights a fight he'll lose, and lose foolishly".

personally I find working backwards helps me. as well as working forwards and sometimes sideways.... come to think of it that probably doesn't help much.... but seriously you have to plan out your interior more than anything else in this hobby and a little reverse thinking doesn't hurt
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

AV switches are soldered and then installed. You can run the wires though the hilt, through the nut, up the hole, solder your connections and then install the switch. As for your Pommel LED, how you plan on mounting it will help determine how you handle mounting and placing the LED.
    Okay, that brings upa GREAT follow-up question.

How the heck do you use the nut that comes with the AV switch? How are you able to get it threaded and spin into position when it's several inches deep in a hilt? I can't figure that out.

And yes, schmoetech, it is "Ultrasaberish" because it's an Ultrasaber. I like a lot of their sabers, but I am very interested in making my own saber(s) from here on out.
    Maynard, MA