Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FIRST SABER with NB!

Default FIRST SABER with NB!

Hey there, People!

I am completely new to saber building, and this is hopefully going to be my first saber! :P
    I am starting a 100% MHS project, and after doing some research, the Nano Biscotti seems to be the most suitable sound board.
    I was wondering if anybody would help with the parts listing for the internals/electronics!
    So far, I want in the saber:
    -Green seoul P4
    -Nano Biscotti Soundboard
    -Li Ion 18650 battery
    -Recharge port/Kill Key
    -2W Bass speaker
    -Momentary tactile switch (For graflex style clamp activator)

All hopefully to fit in this hilt:

Saber.jpg

It would be GREATLY APPRECIATED if somebody could help me with a parts list, and help sort out any faults or possible issues with the given information
    Thanks Heaps!
    Darth Ben

First, welcome to the forums!

Well, it sounds like you have most of the internal parts you need. You will most likely need:

- a speaker holder.
    - a LED lens holder, and 8.7 degree lens.
    - make sure you get the heat sink with the blade holder.

Also give thought to some type of chassis, and also make sure you have the tools you need.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 12-11-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

You're going to need to make your own chassis out of PVC or something because the NB/battery chassis disc holder is not going to fit in a ribbed section; it has a smaller ID than the standard hit sections.

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    First, welcome to the forums!

Well, it sounds like you have most of the internal parts you need. You will most likely need:

- a speaker holder.
    - a LED lens holder, and 8.7 degree lens.
    - make sure you get the heat sink with the blade holder.

Also give thought to some type of chassis, and also make sure you have the tools you need.
    Thanks!
    I do have a speaker holder in mind, and the LED i'm going to use will be one of the completed p4 & MHS modules, so all the LED specific things are included
    I am working out some chassis ideas, but will need to be conservant due to the structure of the hilt being... awkward, at some places

Quote Originally Posted by Xevious View Post
    You're going to need to make your own chassis out of PVC or something because the NB/battery chassis disc holder is not going to fit in a ribbed section; it has a smaller ID than the standard hit sections.
    I did think that would be a problem... I haven't found a lot about making PVC chassis, so if you know of any good posts, links would be fantastic!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBen View Post
    Thanks!
    I do have a speaker holder in mind, and the LED i'm going to use will be one of the completed p4 & MHS modules, so all the LED specific things are included
    I am working out some chassis ideas, but will need to be conservant due to the structure of the hilt being... awkward, at some places
    Ummm, awkward structure in a lightsaber hilt is NOT a good thing.

You may not need a PVC chassis, depending on how you plan the internals of your hilt. Easy to make, they are not, unless you have a lathe
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 12-11-2012 at 07:53 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."

Ummm, awkward structure in a lightsaber hilt is NOT a good thing.

You may not need a PVC chassis, depending on how you plan the internals of your hilt. Easy to make, they are not, unless you have a lathe
    The awkwardness is the ribbed section, as the acrylic disks don't fit, conveniently haha
    Could you take a look the the hilt photo provided and let me know how you would go about it?
    Thanks

The awkwardness is the ribbed section, as the acrylic disks don't fit, conveniently haha
    Could you take a look the the hilt photo provided and let me know how you would go about it?
    Thanks
    Offhand, I would put the battery in the ribbed section, and the sound card in the section where the gear and the 2" extension would be - under the box. You should be able to accomplish a chassis for this using the METAL disks, you would have to insulate the threads or rods, where the board will be.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines

Offhand, I would put the battery in the ribbed section, and the sound card in the section where the gear and the 2" extension would be - under the box. You should be able to accomplish a chassis for this using the METAL disks, you would have to insulate the threads or rods, where the board will be.
    That is a great idea... What's the best and most efficient way to insulate? And how would you go about securing the battery?
    Thanks heaps, this is all really helping haha

That is a great idea... What's the best and most efficient way to insulate? And how would you go about securing the battery?
    Thanks heaps, this is all really helping haha
    There are a couple of ways, but heat shrink would be the quickest and easiest to insulate, you could use zip ties to secure the battery to the rods)which don't need insulating, you can just use one of the colored covers Tim sells. Securing the card may be a bit trickier, you could try a small zip tie (or two) there as well.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    1. Forum Guidelines