Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kyaryo's First Saber Build - Needs a name

Very nice looking, congrats
    Clicky Sig =>

Decided on a name, but first a little bit more about the reasoning behind the name of this saber. So, "Battlecry" is a rough translation of the Chinese author Lu Xun's 魯迅 compilation Nahan 吶喊. (I'm a Chinese Major, btw) So in the introduction to his book he talks about how he feels that as an author it is his responsibility to cry out in the darkness to others who are struggling through hopeless times, that they may know that they are not alone and that there is still hope. These cries also function as a "call to arms" (another translation of Nahan) to help people rally against said darkness. I really like this, and feel that it is a key responsibility of a Jedi Knight. Therefore, I chose to name my saber after it ("Call to arms" just doesn't work as a name )

This also play a little bit into the dark color scheme of the saber. Black with gold highlights is elegant, yes, but also symbolizes the darkness and is more suited for stealth work. I also got the black/gold idea from a fountain pen I own.
    "We don't have to win. We only have to fight." - Mace Windu (Shatterpoint)

I like it. Very fitting.
    "Bacon and cheese>squeezed lemon." - FenderBender
    "But, ya know...rules are made to be broken." - Yoshi-Taka
    LDM's Recipe For Noobs. Totally Worth The Read.

I dig it Kyaryo. The meaning behind the name really suits the saber. And i gotta give you credit for knowing your Chinese lit.
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------

Working on temporarily wiring it up as a stunt. Thought I'd share a valuable lesson: when using two AAAs to test which pads go with which LED on a Rebel Tri-star, don't look at the LED. DUH! I think I can almost see without a green blip in my vision now. Just FYI, if anyone doesn't know, each die rest betweens it's associated pads.

Heh. Use a single AA, and wear sunglasses next time
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Probably a good idea. I got it all wired up, and the Tri-rebel looks great. The two greens are bright enough that I might have to order a dueling blade just to dim it a little...or when I get a PC I might take the current down from 1000ma to 800ma or something. But I guess it has the real lightsaber effect...I mean, really, who would stare directly at a blade made of pure energy...

Pictures forthcoming...have to go make dinner so the wife is happy!

Here's the pictures I promised (All of these are in a fully lit room, but the darkness is from the camera compensating for the blade):

With blade and AV lit, blade plug in.

With blade:

Comparison with my MR Obi ROTS:

Detail of the pommel insert my wife gave me:

Let me know what you think!

That's a very fine weapon you got here Kyaryo, I really like the black and gold finish and overall look
    Plus that insert look definitely cool, kudos to your wife too
    Clicky Sig =>

Lookin good! I like what you did with the dual colors on the blade holder - looks great lit up!
    --------------------------Cadence--------------------------