Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OK, wait a sec!! How many??

Default OK, wait a sec!! How many??

I just checked my TCSS account to be sure, and I was correct. I'm 2.5 weeks away from the one year anniversary of my first TCSS purchase.
    However, I've already made 4 stunt sabers (2 different designs), and I'm readying to order the hilt parts for a 5th saber, and researching PC, sound, and FoC info.

Plus, I'm reading about the new NB and checking my wire schematics from my first sabers to see what needs modding.

So, my question to the pros and veterans here (which, to me, is most everyone) is: How many sabers have you built??

-The Yin

Depending on who it is, the number varies... I currently have 3 "higher-end" builds in the works, plus ones I have made through the years.
    I know others who have built 10 or more. I know some "collectors" who have upwards of 20-30 NICE sabers.

I know a certain person (I'll let him remain anonymous for now) around here who seems to crank out a couple of sabers a week.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Building my third this week. I'm converted an FX though, if that counts too.

Hi!,

I just wanted to compliment you, especially on the curving sabers. They look great. If you don't mind my asking, what did you use to create the curving section?(I have a design I'd thumbnailed a while ago and put on hold because I couldn't find a curved section with pretty much the exact angle on the ones you made...) These are very nice designs with lots of upgrade room for sound etc from the look of it. Great work!
    I'm not even remotely close to professional or experienced (6 months reading then about 4 months actually building), and so far I've built a prototype that has an MR card and Lux white in it, have burned out one 10 year old dremel tool and have one saber that would be complete except that I keep trying new things on the electronics and I'm experimenting with a "brushed" metal texture on its shrouds.What's in there right now is a "cool white" 1000 mA per LED Quad Rebelbut I did a test with putting 1500mA per LED through my "test" Quad Rebel last night and the increase in brightness is...impressive, so off to rewire it again. Saber #3 has all the parts and pieces and I've cut the shrouds and I'm just waiting to see how the final electronics in #2 turn out and whether to move to the PC, NB or use another obsidian card like in #2 and then on to design #4. This is a dangerously addictive hobby...

Johannes

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I won't speak 'for' LDM, but he's probably the only one on here who has built more than me and we're WELL into the hundreds.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Over 100 myself....I'm a little slow compared to some people.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Wow, that is quite impressive. I'll probably do just one a year, unless I have a design eureka moment : )
    This will be my first with sound, so I'll see who it goes.

Johannes; to answer your question.
    The curved idea was my sisters design, so we spent some time wondering through home depot looking for anything that could work.
    I tried PVC and ABS pipe, but didn't get anything that could fit right and was the right angle. So we used electrical conduit.
    It is cut from a full 90 degree pipe, and is (I think) 1.5 inch. I just picked a spot and cut that out for the hilt.

I'm putting together a little (fast made) diagram of how the hilt is built. It is a sink tube saber. I had to use rivets to hold the conduit to the 1.25 sink tube that is inside it. Also, the MHS pommels can fit in the conduit after a little bit of Dremel work.
    curved hilt.jpg

I had to get creative with this one, but I was determined to make it work : )
    Last edited by The Yin; 10-23-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I lost count after 400. It used to matter for some reason, but lately it doesn't seem to matter at all...maybe I am just so perpetually busy that I can't devote the mental energy to thinking about it. I think I am 20-ish past that now. I literally stopped counting this whole year. Maybe Caine will remember when I passed 400, because I mentioned it to him when it happened. At this point, I do about 50 commission pieces per year and another 20+ (depending on how readily my creativity flows) for myself/general sale. I still remember my first saber with sound. She is named the Farfalla. I am well north of $100,000 spent (I also stopped keeping track of that this year) in this endeavor as well .

Fenderbender is not too far behind me, especially if you count all of his PVC stunts from the old days. Other prolific builders (well over 100 sabers) are JQ sabers, Jango Fett (Roy's Blues here) and Madcow.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

I've only built four, but I still love each and every one of them.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

LOL - I'm on track with you, Yin. I placed my first order with TCSS in May of this year, and have 2 sabers built so far - with a wish list as long as my leg to complete 3 more.