Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Pittsburgh

Default Hello from Pittsburgh

Hello all! I've been lurking around the forums for a long time now and I thought it was time I finally popped in. I'm in process of putting together my first saber build...or should I say I'm in the process of reading the tutorials teaching me how to put together my first saber build. Anyway, rambling aside, I'm happy to finally be taking part!

Welcome to the Forums! Make sure you read all of the starter's tutorials. Good Luck!
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Welcome! My advice is to read till it hurts, then sit back and ponder what you have learned while eating a cookie. I find the cookie helps. Then order some parts because sometimes you've got to have the things in your hand to really see how it goes together, which can answer some questions (and you get to play with them, which is fun all on its own) but continue to read while your order is coming to you. Ask questions as needed. Experiment!! Build!! Post!! It will be frustrating and fun, and soon you too will be addicted. Oh, and keep reading.

Thanks guys! I've been doing a ton of reading and sketching and reading and re-sketching. Everything seems to be available via the search function, which is nice. I've never done any electrical stuff before so that's where I'm at now (that and building an internal chassis) but I found a good tutorial on soldering and TCSS has a lot of "pre-made" electronics which is good. If nothing else, I'm trying to avoid being a total noob.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Helpfull, you will find this also!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdnG...ature=youtu.be
    To the forums, you are welcome, yes!

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Welcome
    As I did recently, you'll learn a lot of usefull info by reading this forum!
    So have a good reading, and good luck on your first build
    Clicky Sig =>

Thanks Ryo! My only real concern is the wiring (as I haven't done it before) and the space needed for a crystal chamber. I'm going to do as much reading as I can and then post a checklist to make sure I'm not making any obvious mistakes. I'd rather do my first build fully on my own and really pass the "padawan" test if that makes sense.

No problem
    Regarding wiring, solder practice is the best way to learn, try on some junk boards, it really help getting use to it before going for the real thing
    Regarding space, I figured out that you can plan it as much as you can, you'll really need the real parts to finalize your plan I suppose it is far easier to work on a second saber once you've seen MHS stuff already hehe
    Clicky Sig =>

I bet! At this point it's a matter of planning and patience. Which sucks lol

Dont make the same expensive mistake i did, Put lube on your threads. I made the mistake of tightening them too much and now they are stuck and i used actual pipe tools to loosen them didn't work. The problem was if you tighten them to tight aluminum is soft and you can shear off a thread which makes it virtually impossible to get off.
    Olc-Pa Mabec