Thread: A strange post, this will be. Also, hello CSB, I finally made a post!

Default A strange post, this will be. Also, hello CSB, I finally made a post!

Totally meant TCSS, no idea what CSB is. Custom saber buddies, lol? Well anyway, hello everyone, first time poster. So let's just get into it!

So about a year or so ago, I ordered some parts, and bought a Hasbro lightsaber, and gutted it. Then... it fell by the wayside, collecting dust. Now with Halloween approaching I was rummaging around and found the old parts, and here they are!
    (Sorry about the quality)

sak5D.jpg

lsSsk.jpg

Cc9t8.jpg

4PT16.jpg

[[A note: The glass lens for the LED I now realized was not in the pictures. I have it, so, that's accounted for as well as the heat sink. That's in the hilt itself right now.]]

So here is why the post is kind of strange. I can't remember what the hell I was doing haha. At the time I did, but it's been a while. Fortunately, most of the board is labeled and with it's original parts still soldered there, I have a pretty good idea of what goes where. All I am wondering is, does it seem like I missing anything? I'm pretty sure this is about all I need for a real basic build with some sound. The other thing I can't remember is, why did I order some resistors?

Anyways, I'm gonna try piecing this thing together tomorrow night, hopefully I won't break anything. This close to Halloween, it'll be hard getting parts!

[[Edit again: I figured out where one of the resistors goes. I was going with a direct drive approach, since this was my first time. So, I guess one is going from the battery pack to the LEDs. Still not sure about the other one yet]]
    Last edited by Scourch; 10-19-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari-Jaq Xulden View Post
    Right on! This looks like just the thing. I'll update with a pic of the hopefully finished saber tomorrow!

Looks like this is the build I was/am going for. http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...01-10-2011.png

But I don't have that PNP transistor. Is that something I will need?
    Last edited by Scourch; 10-19-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

You need it if you want it to be bright at all. You can get it at Radio Shack.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Already went and got it, but thank you! So I was practicing my soldering skills...man, it is not easy. It's a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. How much can an electrical board take with heat? I tried so hard not to touch it all, but a few times I did. Thankfully this was a practice board, but still. I imagine I must have ruined it at that point, yeah?

You should be touching the board for maybe a second, tops. You should not have the tip touching the tabs for any longer than that. And yes, it isn't easy and it does take quite a bit of practice.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com