Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Using 7.4v 14500 pack with NB v1

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

This really does not make any sense to do.

If you have a 7.4v 800mAh stick pack and there is room to fit the NB next to it then you should have room to switch out the stick pack for a 18500 single cell which will cost you a few dollars more than a voltage regulator. You will end up with one less component, more mAh, and Less risk of damaging something.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Vos View Post
    sorry just my opinion,
    its your board...
    Not anymore, hopefully my order for the NB can be canceled and refunded. I realize this is all way more trouble than it's worth.

Hey Jm,

If you want to upgrade your saber with sound, I am afraid it is going to take a little work. I am sorry we couldn't help you do precisely what you wanted, but none of us want to give you advice on something that will fail in the long run. Saber electronics aren't something that should be "jury-rigged" or fudged in any way. These are somewhat delicate electronics that you are cramming into a metal tube and swinging, spinning, and smacking things with. If you don't do it right, you might save money now, but you will likely be replacing all your parts later.

That being said, I hope you will reconsider. Putting together your own lightsaber is such a rewarding experience. It might take more money and time than what you thought you were willing to spend, but its worth it.

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing well."

Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bomber View Post
    Hey Jm,

If you want to upgrade your saber with sound, I am afraid it is going to take a little work. I am sorry we couldn't help you do precisely what you wanted, but none of us want to give you advice on something that will fail in the long run. Saber electronics aren't something that should be "jury-rigged" or fudged in any way. These are somewhat delicate electronics that you are cramming into a metal tube and swinging, spinning, and smacking things with. If you don't do it right, you might save money now, but you will likely be replacing all your parts later.

That being said, I hope you will reconsider. Putting together your own lightsaber is such a rewarding experience. It might take more money and time than what you thought you were willing to spend, but its worth it.

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing well."
    I realize all this, and I guess I am just used to dealing with soundboards that are easy to solder and less fragile, and Ive been reading the owner's manual on the NB and I personally do not find it to be user friendly.
    Last edited by jmPlagueis; 10-14-2012 at 11:26 AM.

I understand your frustrations..... that being said I plan on trying out the nb in the future and hope its not too much hassle.I have used a few different boards now from nova sounds to igniters and they all have their own little problems and on a couple of occasions I was ready to smash them with a hammer!! space teens to be the biggest problem and as with the igniter and its color board I had the most problems due to its size and power consumption but it was totally worth the nightmare install and I learned a great many things about the nature of the hilt LOL. following the manual isn't an overly manly thing to do but it will get it to work properly and than you can make changes to the set up later. from what I can see the nb was designed for this hobby with us in mind and I also doubt that Tim would sell us a 'crap board' for the hell of it
    ....Don't fear the Reaper....
    ....He's just a Sith Lord that has lost his lightsaber....

I feel like no one gets the fact that I have installed soundboards and electronics in sabers before. I have and I know the feeling of doing so successfully.

that said, I do not feel there is any possible way I could install the NB without damaging it. The checklist for proper tools in the manual would basically force me to purchase a whole new set of tools, which defeats the purpose of buying a lower priced soundboard.

I appreciate the input, but I think it just comes down to me being an Ewok trying to hang out in an Imperial bar

Quote Originally Posted by jmPlagueis View Post
    I realize all this, and I guess I am just used to dealing with soundboards that are easy to solder and less fragile, and Ive been reading the owner's manual on the NB and I personally do not find it to be user friendly.
    Which soundboards are you referring to? This board is probably the easiest to deal with, and isn't "fragile". You're just upset because you can't use your existing pack with this board, and are unable/unwilling to change or adapt to what the board needs. You could also try a single 14500 or 14650 cell to power the NB.

And if you have done saber installations in the past (with soundboards) you should have the tools as they are basic tools.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by forgetful jedi knight View Post
    Which soundboards are you referring to? This board is probably the easiest to deal with, and isn't "fragile". You're just upset because you can't use your existing pack with this board, and are unable/unwilling to change or adapt to what the board needs. You could also try a single 14500 or 14650 cell to power the NB.

And if you have done saber installations in the past (with soundboards) you should have the tools as they are basic tools.
    "fragile" refers to ESD. Buying a whole new soldering station is not worth it for one little board. And no, it has nothing to do with the battery pack, in fact this thread was started to see if someone could be civil and offer a solution for me wanting to use my 7.4v pack, which a couple did to my surprise, but it was ruined by hostility.

Quote Originally Posted by jmPlagueis View Post
    "fragile" refers to ESD. Buying a whole new soldering station is not worth it for one little board. And no, it has nothing to do with the battery pack, in fact this thread was started to see if someone could be civil and offer a solution for me wanting to use my 7.4v pack, which a couple did to my surprise, but it was ruined by hostility.
    I know what this thread is about. While I don't necessarily agree with the tone of their message, the message itself was valid.

An ESD safe soldering station is a good idea (and recommended) for ANY type of electronics soldering work. If you are REAL good at soldering and working with electronics, you *could* get by without it, if you really know what you are doing, though I wouldn't personally recommend it.
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 10-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Council Member
    Jedi Master

So.....let me get this straight. You got lazy, didn't want to do things "the right way", got pissy when people called you on it, blamed a board you've never worked with by branding it "fragile" and "not user friendly" because in the manual, the creator puts in recommendations to try and limit the amount of borked boards, and decided to take your red ball and go home? Really? I think your time spent away from a forum full of people who 'do' is a double edged sword in this case. My recommendation is to calm down, don't take things that personally (it's the FREAKIN' INTERNET FOR CRIPES SAKES!) and just spend a little bit of time to do things right and you'll be rewarded. Otherwise, you can go spend the same if not more money on an inferior product that has the same requirements (just, THEY don't tell you about them....ignorance is bliss I guess), and end up with a 'meh' result.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS