Thread: Help with CREE XML

Cool Help with CREE XML

Hello all.
    I won a couple of Tim's auctions, and to my pleasant surprise there was a single die Cree star in the bottom of the box!
    It is marked XML, and the data sheet from Cree says that it is the "industry's britest and whitest lighting LED". Compared to the rebel's die, the die on the Cree is MASSIVE. It also says that it has a maximum drive of 3000ma. The lumen ratings for even 200ma (starving the star) were simply outrageous. I want to run it at around 2000ma. Just a couple of simple questions, only because I'm having trouble finding info pertaining to the use of this star in a saber.

Anyone have experience with the XML? Pretty bright even with colored poly-c or filter?

How about an appropriate lens/holder solution? Degree of angle?

The CF can handle 2000ma+ right? I have a petit crouton, but this build is planned for a very special (and PRETTY) saber. My crown jewel if you will. I plan on buying a CF and a couple of custom made piezo switches...

Thanks in advance guys/gals!!

The CF can handle 2000 mA (2A). As far as the Cree, no they are something I haven't used.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Depending on which PC you have, it may be able to deliver 2A to that led as well. The PCv1.x's could deliver 1500ma, where the PCv2.0 can deliver 2000ma to the main led.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

There are available optics and optics holders if you do a quick google search. I have one of these X-ML Cree's and even driven at 500 mA they are SUPER bright!
    Follow Your Bliss