Thread: ILLUMINATED PIEZO SWITCHES!?!? Holy $&@&... SWEEEET!!

Cool ILLUMINATED PIEZO SWITCHES!?!? Holy $&@&... SWEEEET!!

Due to forum rules, I can't post a link to where I found them, but anybody with a brain should be able to use google competently.
    So here's the skinny!! I found some super sweet piezo switches (for those who aren't familiar with the piezoelectric effect, imagine that lamp you had as a kid that would turn on when you touched any part of the metal body) that look almost EXACTLY like the anti vandals we all know and love (well, I dooooo <3). BUT! There are no moving parts, and the dang thing is illuminated with the same ring/dot setup as the AV switches, and looks to be around the SAME SIZE. Just touching a metal pad instead of clicking a button!? Now that's Jedi! Soooo, here are my questions, thoughts, blah blah blah. Chime in with your two cents!! (My apologies for any possible necroposting).

1. I'm wondering if they could be wired in the same way the normal vandals are. I believe they would act as momentary switches, and would simply require you to change the text file on the cf/pc to 2. Because of the fact any skin touching would turn them off, Im thinking that they would work fantastically with A-POP turned on.

2. SIZE AND SPECS: It says switch face is 25mm, I could probably find several other sizes. When referring to the AV's, does anyone know if 16mm is the shaft/thread diameter or the face? Probably dumb Q, I just can't find a ruler. Also, the switching current is a choice between 200ma, 300ma, or 1A. Is that similar to the AV's? The switch pulse time is 300ms (you can order up to 6 seconds). I assume that's bueno. the illuminated section runs at 20ma. They look so similar it's uncanny.

Any thoughts!? If these things turn out to be similar enough to the AV's, I'll buy a ton of them, run them through the paces, and report back. Who knows, maybe we all could even team up on Tim to get him to carry them on the store!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zahc Zi Phan View Post
    Due to forum rules, I can't post a link to where I found them, but anybody with a brain should be able to use google competently.
    So here's the skinny!! I found some super sweet piezo switches (for those who aren't familiar with the piezoelectric effect, imagine that lamp you had as a kid that would turn on when you touched any part of the metal body) that look almost EXACTLY like the anti vandals we all know and love (well, I dooooo <3). BUT! There are no moving parts, and the dang thing is illuminated with the same ring/dot setup as the AV switches, and looks to be around the SAME SIZE. Just touching a metal pad instead of clicking a button!? Now that's Jedi! Soooo, here are my questions, thoughts, blah blah blah. Chime in with your two cents!! (My apologies for any possible necroposting).

1. I'm wondering if they could be wired in the same way the normal vandals are. I believe they would act as momentary switches, and would simply require you to change the text file on the cf/pc to 2. Because of the fact any skin touching would turn them off, Im thinking that they would work fantastically with A-POP turned on.

2. SIZE AND SPECS: It says switch face is 25mm, I could probably find several other sizes. When referring to the AV's, does anyone know if 16mm is the shaft/thread diameter or the face? Probably dumb Q, I just can't find a ruler. Also, the switching current is a choice between 200ma, 300ma, or 1A. Is that similar to the AV's? The switch pulse time is 300ms (you can order up to 6 seconds). I assume that's bueno. the illuminated section runs at 20ma. They look so similar it's uncanny.

Any thoughts!? If these things turn out to be similar enough to the AV's, I'll buy a ton of them, run them through the paces, and report back. Who knows, maybe we all could even team up on Tim to get him to carry them on the store!!

OK, I remember seeing these quite a while back... to answer a few of your questions...

1. According to the specs, I'm not sure. I saw that it may need 5V (which could be a problem)

2. 16mm refers to the face. You could find a similar size in those if you try hard enough.

My thoughts, it looks cool, but why pay $30 dollars (or probably more) for something that you could easily get for half that in the store? The specs that I saw also aren't too clear on how to wire them up, and more importantly what the requirements are. The requirements could drop the run time or limit your FoC abilities, depending on what they ultimately are.

Also, other than people blowing the LED because they didn't calculate the resistor value properly, or physically breaking the switch because their cram-fu is weak, I have never heard of an AV switch failing. Something to keep in mind
    Last edited by Forgetful Jedi Knight; 10-03-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    TCSS MODERATOR
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:
    1. Forum Guidelines
    2. FJK’s “Down and Dirty” guide to Ohm’s Law

"Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before... you want blindingly bright, super loud, running 1138 blinkies off of the cheapest sound card you can find AND you want all of it to run on a battery the size of a dime, and run for a very, VERY long time. That one cracks me up every time..."
    My email: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

The 16 mm is the diameter of the AV's. The switches you are referring are a 22 diameter shaft with a 25 mm (nearly 1 inch) face. I'm not saying it will not work. Lets face it, if you so set your mind to it, you could make it work. Mechanically they will work. IMHO though they would stick out like a sore thumb, literally. It would take some type of mounting or bezel, and it still could look gaudy just given the size relation to an MHS a hilt. Also FJK is right $30 + for a switch is hefty. One positive note I saw was they have brass illuminated ones. Albeit only in a few colors but, again intrigued by a multi red/green. Probably a "either or" like the x-box ring.

I have a Piezo switch in one of my builds. Its a 16mm non-illuminated type. They will fit the boxes sold in the shopK3GR1040_zps4536087c.jpg Though as I recall it had a hefty tag
    Last edited by Ari-Jaq Xulden; 10-03-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.